Paris, Baghdad, Beirut: Something Worth Fighting For


My heart broke last night.

Just as it did exactly a year ago. And just as I did a year ago, I went to one of my best friends - the boy I am closest to - and cried. Painfully, uncontrollably.

Last year, it was different.

Last year, I sat on his couch crying and shaking because of a person. Because of a relationship that had fallen apart in the most painful way possible. 

Last night, I cried with him again, this time over FaceTime. This time over a city. Over a place that had become my home, where I had been welcomed and loved, where I had learned and grown. 

This time, I sobbed and shook because of Paris. Because of the terror and brutality and death inflicted on a city where I and so many others had walked and dreamed. 

I cried for the people of Paris, for the French host families who had taken us study abroad students under their wing. I cried for the innocent lives cut short in a moment - at a concert, walking down the street, outside a futball game. 

In a moment, everything changed. 

Paris's world changed. And the rest of the world's eyes looked to the city of lights, now shrouded in darkness and dispair. 

As I cried on the phone with my best friend, he looked at me with devastation and said, "I have no words. But I hurt for you." 

He knew how close to home this hit for me, how jarring it was to realize what had happened, how my ties to Paris were still strong and deeply tethered. How I had left a price of my heart there. How I would always consider it, in a way, my home. He knew that I was hurting for the people of Paris, and he was hurting for them too.

I fell asleep holding my Rosary from the Mont-Sainte Michel Abbey in France. There were no words in my heart, only grief and silent lifting upwards to God. 

I woke up this morning thinking, not only about Paris, but about the attacks on Baghdad and Beirut last night also.

Thinking about stories today and the real-life folk who grow up listening to them and who choose not to turn back, but to face the evil in this world. 

And I thought of one Hobbit's words: 

"It's all wrong. By all rights, we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? 
But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. Because they were holding on to something."

"What are we holding on to, Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo...and it's worth fighting for."

Comments

  1. Just watched Two Towers last night and I teared up at that part. Gets me every time. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you for sharing this, Grace. Thank-you for bringing this matter closer to my heart as I read your words. That quote is my favorite in all of the LOTR books, and it is very appropriate and encouraging now.

    God's grace be with you and all of the people in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so, so beautiful. thank you for these words. my prayers are with you as well as France. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!