Friday, August 28, 2015

Friday Feelings


Heeeeello there, friends! It's Friday. And I have a lot of feelings (when do I not?), and I've missed this. Missed you lovely readers and writing posts. I've kept quiet on here since returning from Paris, just a post here and there.

There were all the feels this week, so this morning right now feels like a small gift...I call them "moments in between." A small, hallowed moment of quiet and calm in the ordinary things of life. I'm curled up on my couch typing away with a cup of creamy, steaming coffee at my feet. Light spills in the window behind me, tumbling over my shoulder and the cozy, warm blanket wrapped around me. Great American songs of swing and jazz permeate the air from NPR's The Jonathan Channel.

It's a moment in between. A simple Tuesday moment on a Friday. A bit o' loveliness for my soul.

Today will be a good day...and even if it goes wrong, at least I had this morning.

An another note, can we talk about how life really is a rom-com but with WAAAAY more of the awkward/life-shatteringly embarrassing moments but none of the sweet, romantic resolution? I've finally come to terms with the fact that most people don't actually say what they feel and confess their undying affection or literally chase the taxi/plane/bus. And that's ok, yo. Just let me still watch it play out on the big screen and cry into a box of tissues. It's an oddly painful yet cathartic experience I crave on especially sucky days.

The other night at work I was listening to Leonard Bernstein's version of "Maria" from the Silver Linings Playbook soundtrack and thinking about how wonderful Bradley Cooper is with his heart-melting smile, baby blue eyes, and gorgeous scruff. I need some more Bradley in my life.

I think everyone needs some Bradley in their life. Can I get an amen?

My first day of senior year was surprisingly "meh"...it was one of those weird days that should have been good, but felt...off in some way. The second day, however - Tuesday, which is quickly becoming my favorite day of the week, thanks to Emily - was much better. Wonderful, in fact. I'm exhausted since I went non-stop from 7:30am on, but all in all, it was a good day.

I saw Jon Foreman (of Switchfoot) in concert last night - which means 800 souls, who love Jon + his hallowed music almost as much as I do, gathered in the backyard of a coffeeshop and had our souls shaken loose while he sang and played accompanied by a fantastic cellist and drummer. I'm very, very blessed to have gotten to see him play this way twice.

Jon is one of those rare people who seems made of silver and gold and teeming art, as if the soul in him shows through more than his earthly body. He always reminds me of C.S. Lewis's words: "You don't have a soul - you are a soul. You have a body." 

Jon is a soul, through and through, and his words + music reflect that. When he plays and sings his heart out, flashing that warm grin at the crowd - seeming genuinely happy and overjoyed to play to a select crowd in a crowded dark coffeeshop, something transcendent and transformative happens. The metaphorical gap between the stage and audience disappears...as if he can sense that we, like him, are hungry for meaning and comfort, longing to express the inexpressible in each of us. And something changes in the air, a crowd of strangers becoming something more, something larger than any of us. The closest thing I can compare it to is worship. To our souls opening up, being stirred, and sensing a Presence larger than anything else.

I believe there are some special souls in this world whose creation + art make us more ourselves, blurs the line between the earthly and the heavenly. Souls who make + create with every fiber of their being, in an act of living worship and carrying out their purpose.

Souls like Jon Foreman. Emily Freeman. Jess Connolly. Sarah Clarkson. Just to name a few.

Enjoy your Friday, friends. May it be one of living out art...and enjoying the moments in between. 

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and AMEN to all of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne Marie! Hope your weekend is lovely and restorative!

      Delete
  2. A to the MEN. Everyone needs a little more Bradley. That's one of my favorite films. Love this, girl!

    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!