A Midnight Letter to the Girls of the World

Wednesday, April 29, 2015



Dear girls, I hope you stand beneath the moon tonight - it's beautiful and pale, half hidden from sight and half resplendent against the soft blue-black velvetness of the sky. I hope you look at the scattering of stars and stand in a field or with wet grass under your feet, even if there's no one there to hold your hand. I hope you feel the sweet, calm glimmer of joy when the night breeze brushes your cheek. 

I hope you are told you're beautiful by a boy who does not mean it romantically. I hope you sit in quiet with a soul, even if he's not your soulmate, and talk for hours about the small and the silly. I hope you feel the rush of exhilaration of driving with the roof down or on the back of a motocycle or with the window rolled down as the wind streams in your hair and streetlights are a blur of white light and you feel alive.

I hope you remember when it feels like no one is choosing you and everyone else is being chosen and lauded and loved, that the moon and the stars will always be there for you...that looks, talent, and cleverness don't matter to them and they will always gaze down on you with a gentle kindness even when humans don't. 

I hope you breathe in when your lungs and heart feel empty, because breathing means you're still alive, that you've made it this far. I hope you understand that heartbreak is sweet and bitter, that it hurts, but that no boy or man will ever make you happy - that Prince Charming doesn't appear to ease your troubles, that sometimes you will stand alone and unloved by someone...but that you will beat on, like boats against the river. Like the moon against streams of clouds. 

I hope you treasure the midnights, because that's when your soul is most alive. 

I hope you know you are not alone. 

17 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. What lovely, wise words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is gorgeous, Grace. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so positive and I LOVE you for it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing is amazing! I love it so much!! I want to someday become as wonderful of a writer as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, that is a compliment! I'm sure you're a much better one than I am, though. What I love about writing is that there are so many different styles, each beautiful in their own way...you do YOU, girl!

      Delete
  5. Wow so inspirational Grace!! love love LOVE!!! Stay amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading + for your sweet comment, Olivia!

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh. you have no idea how much this spoke to my soul. my broken heart needed this so much. Thank you, beautiful Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Grace, for writing and posting this. I really needed to hear it....I might even print it out and hang it where I can see it everyday. <3
    PS I am loving your Beast and Beauty story--thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 04, 2015

    I read this the day it was published, and was like, "Oh, wow, that is a really nice article." But last night I had a beautiful midnight with a very good guy friend. It was not romantic in the least, but EVERY SINGLE thing you mentioned happened!!!! We talked until 4 a. m., not always talking, but also sharing the silence, moonlight, and then we talked about probably every subject under the sun!!! It was absolutely incredible, and then this article came o mind, and it became perfect!!! Thank you so very, very much!! God Bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete