Friday Feelings

Friday, February 20, 2015


Another week, another Friday...it's a grey, foreboding day over here and I'm typing away in the library with the busy thrum of espresso machines clicking and hissing besides me as the line for that magical, rich, brown liquid stretches around the Starbucks. As I just told one of my favorite professors as we chatted in her office about fashion and design and planners, today is a day on which you can look like a mess and it's okay. Because some days, you just roll out of bed, put on leggings, a long sleeved t-shirt, vest + headband. And it's okay.

As always, I'm glad to see the weekend arrive and feel like waving gaily at the world as I walk to my few classes today (perks of being an upperclass; I love being done before lunchtime). Of course, this weekend's a little different as Ash Wednesday was the start of Lent...so some of you might not read this until Sunday if you've given up the Internet or even (gasp) reading blogs. If so, I take my hat off in respect...that's a brave undertaking. 

I was talking with a friend about Lent and we agreed that while it's not a strictly enjoyable season, it's one that's good for the soul. I remind myself to think of it like working out (which I do not enjoy any more, but always feel better + stronger afterwards) - except Lent is discipline for the soul. 

Going without, being okay with uncomfortableness, practicing the art of discipline. 

And the real focus is not prove something to ourselves, but rather to draw closer to God. Which is why I'm changing what I've given up for Lent because my initial choice doesn't feel right...doesn't quite feel like a true sacrifice. Also, does anyone else feel pressure to choose something brilliant to give up? All week long, I was asked, "So, what are you giving up for Lent?" A question that made me grimace in awkwardness and search for an answer, much like Harry Potter when confronted with something he didn't know: "Er...."

But I finally feel resolved and content with my Lenten resolutions. I'm excited to go deeper into silence and prayer and try to root the start of my mornings in some quiet time with God. Also, get thee to Pandora and add the Gregorian Chant station. It's kind of ridiculous in the best sense. 

I've been struggling a lot with mornings lately, and really want to rework my schedule and routine to revolve around an energizing and productive morning. Which is both challenging and exciting. But I'm looking forward to putting some of those plans into action and taking better care of myself so that in turn I can care for others. 

Sarah's post about Lenten splendor and entering into a season of silence is lovely. And in lighthearted news, pop over to Caitlin's blog to check out the shots I snapped of her super cute retro style. Does she or does she not look like a cool musician/cafe owner/tattoo artist who lives in Nashville? 

Do you know your love language? If not, you should get on that. Mine has changed over the year's to Gift-Giving, so I was cheering with every line I read of Amanda's post.

That's all I have for today, friends - drop a note below and let me know how your week's been or if you're celebrating Lent + if so what, you're giving up.

P.S. If you haven't seen Maroon 5's insanely catchy and adorable new music video "Sugar"...well, you're welcome. 

P.S.S The Oscars are this weekend! And I might be watching them for the first time in....6 years? It's been long overdue. Hello, red carpet dresses, Benedict Cumberbatch, and all the beautiful + talented people in Hollywood/England. #Britishtakeoverftw #EddiedeservesBestActor

16 comments:

  1. Oh, the Pandora Gregorian chant station is absolutely the best... except when they play light, beautiful Easter music on Ash Wednesday. I swear, I turned it on on Wednesday, and the Easter Vigil Exultet began blasting. xD xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there is a cult underground Catholic fangirl club for Gregorian chant. ;) But yeah, Easter joyfulness on Ash Wednesday? Not cool, Pandora.

      Delete
  2. Gregorian chant station + Sugar = I APPROVE. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A glorious combo, if I do say so myself. ;)

      Delete
  3. I am giving up netflix for a lot of reasons and just focusing on the more important things in life like prayer, freinds, silence, quiet. Two days and it is good so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I think that would have been a good choice last year for me..unfortunately (perhaps fortunately?) I haven't had time for Netflix this semester...I've maybe used it three times and certainly not any time soon, so it wouldn't be a sacrifice on my part, heh. Best of luck with you!

      Delete
  4. Here is the "thank you" to your "you're welcome" for linking that music video. My life is so much better for having seen it. ;)
    Happy weekend!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have been of service, Lauren! It improved my life, so why not pass it on? ;) Happy weekend to you too!

      Delete
  5. I gave up Pinterest and am currently in withdrawal mode...
    Happy Lent!!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....Anna, there are no words for your strength. I believe you about withdrawals!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your posts, but you have kinda killed my desire to blog. Every time you post, you are describing my life and thoughts so there is no point in my repeating it! Haha! Just kidding....kinda. Thanks for the Gregorian Chant recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky - oh, no! That certainly wasn't my intention, ahaha.

      Delete
  7. I will have to check out the Gregorian Chant Pandora station! I'm giving up/limiting myself to facebook use. I do need it for class groups and such, but other than that I'm staying away and focusing more on prayer. I'm especially trying to start each day with prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is something I'm also wanting to improve on this Lent...I'm always bad about being consistent, but I really do agree that starting one's day with prayer is worthwhile! It makes such a difference.

      Delete
  8. I never thought of setting up a Gregorian station on Pandora... what a brilliant idea. Happy lent!
    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good - I don't know where it's been all my life.

      Delete