December Thoughts


1. I have fully embraced my simplistic hipster-with-an-affinity-for-modern-sleekness style. I used to love wear more bright colors and head-to-toe coordinated outfits, but now (and for a while) I'm drawn to neutral tones, denim, ankle boots, leggings, and simple make-up. 

I call it being almost 22 - or wearing only what I really like. It feels good to rotate core items and mix-and-match. It's almost a little...dare I say it....like a capsule wardrobe. 

2. I have a nice little routine down when I'm not rushing thirty million different places...I come "home", drop my backpack, slip off my boots (it's usually boots I'm wearing these days) and slip on my moccasins, light my favorite Bath&Body Works candle (either Ski Lodge or Fireside), and put on Chet Baker. Jazz + candles make everything better.

3. I haven't blogged...really, anything lately. No Real Life Wednesdays, no Modest Mondays, no nothing. And it's been good. I never intended to really take a blogging sabbatical, but it felt good not to blog, not to worry about posts, not to feel the pressure of page views and whether someone commented, and if they weren't did that mean I needed to  revamp my blog?

For the first time in, ever, I stopped constantly checking my blog and just enjoyed reading others' blogs. I stayed constant on IG and Pinned as always, because, well, we all know it's my version of therapy. Mostly I lived and tried to be present in my daily life. It was good because the past two months contained challenges and tasks and emotions I never saw coming...my spirit + mind + body couldn't have handled anything extra. I'm grateful I listened to God's nudge to take a step back. I needed it.

Which is why it was so refreshing to check back this past week and see sweet comments from a few of you readers. I might not have hundreds of followers, but I'm happy just to have some special, kind souls who brighten my day with their words. Thank you, friends.

4. I've been eating a great deal of chicken and salad lately...and occasionally, pizza. Because I've somehow reached a place of peace with my body and so I know how much to feed it now and how much is too much. I'm on a chicken Ceasar salad kick though and am riding it for as long as I can. Meaning, it's what I eat every day. That and iced coffee/iced lattes/iced Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks.

5. I've felt more "me" in the past month than I ever have...it's what happens Junior year, I think. You've settled into your skin, into your core friend group, into who you want to be, into what you like and what you dislike. And I am okay with the person I am becoming. I am okay with the person I am.

I like her. She's come a long way...she's calmer, quieter, much more introverted, wears leggings + yoga pants, dyes her hair if she wants to, loves deeply, and knows that change - while painful - is always good.

She's falling in love with winter, and with December; with Advent and the promise of Christmas.

The promise of a new year. 

Comments

  1. You're officially the only other person I've heard of/know who likes Chet Baker. How is he not more popular? His voice is so soothing. My ma picked up a cd of his a few years ago and is one of the only CDs she listens to (She's not a huge music fan.)

    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, I LOVE Chet Baker. I have for years after falling hard in high school upon listening to him croon "My Funny Valentine" - I had never heard of him before then, though, which I suspect is due to him being more of a musician than mainly a singer. Most people have heard of Frank, Bing, Mel, etc. But yes...Chet's great.

      Delete
  2. I like her, too. Even if I don't get a chance to comment often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!!! Your comment almost made me cry! Lots of love + hugs. :)

      Delete
  3. The title of your blog...!! Huge Narnia fan over here. I love it. I've also been totally into neutral colors...it's kind of my thing, but it's also just a nice wintery blend of colors. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, thank you!! So many people are baffled when I say it in person, then I have to launch into my four-minute explanation. And wintery neutrals are simply wonderful. Happy December to you also!

      Delete
  4. It is lovely to hear from you again =) I can relate on so many levels... I've taken a little step back from blogging as well, partly from busyness, partly from having realized that I was getting too caught up in my numbers and worrying about how I could get more followers. Then I remembered, I never started blogging to get followers anyhow. I started blogging for me.

    Also, Bath and Bodyworks candles are the. best. My current one is the Espresso... it's so relaxing to come home after a long day of work and school and light it on the table beside the couch while I relax and catch up on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, exactly! I was dismayed to realize I'd fallen into that mindset also, so I think I needed to take a step back and get my head out of the numbers game. And aaaah, Expresso is an excellent choice. Really, almost any scent by them is addictive. :)

      Delete
  5. Peppermint mochas and chicken Caesar salad. Girl, we need to get together. ♥♥ Mmmm.
    I LOVE the idea of neutral outfits... It's the best. So simple, clean, stylish.
    So good to hear from you, Grace! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely be up for a coffee + salad date! We could wear neutrals and take obscene amounts of pictures together. ;)

      Delete
  6. I think you're really right about junior year--in some ways, I've never felt so much at home with myself. And I can't say it's perfect (it's really hard not to chase that image of the perfect girl in my head), but it's such an improvement over years past. Also, when you share, it's wonderful, but all of us on the other side of the screen want you to be at peace and happy, and if you can find that better at any point by stepping back, we'll support you. :) Good luck with finals, if you have any left, and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much for your encouragement! Junior year has certainly been surprising in how at peace I am with myself and comfortably confident....also, I appreciate your support for my past (and any future hiatus). So blessed by your comment and that you take the time to read this blog. I'm honored! <3

      Delete
  7. Isn't it awesome to settle into your own skin? I think I've finally figured it out in the last year, and I'm 24, lol. Really resonate with everything you're saying. Especially the leggings and Chet Baker and hair dye (you have excellent taste in music, btw). Welcome back to the virtual world! I hope the last two weeks of your Advent are filled with blessings and peace. Best of luck with finals!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, I know I'll have several more identity crises by the time I turn 24 (in two years, eep!), so I think you're just fine! And ahaha, thank you for the compliment - I'm just a sucker for jazz + Big Band swing. Hope your last two weeks of Advent are lovely also!

      Delete
  8. Yes I love it and honestly a good blogging break is sometimes just as good as blogging! It's whatever you need at that time in your life but I did miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like I'm typing away here for myself, so that is so sweet and uplifting to hear that you missed my rambly posts - thanks for making my day, lovely!

      Delete
  9. I am absolutely overjoyed at your return to the blogging world. Even if it's only for a short while or whatever length of time at all--I'm just glad you popped in real quick and wrote this.

    Neutrals are such a must in my closet, although, I've gravitated towards slightly more colorful---meaning, not grey--- pieces recently! --An exclamation point was necessary there, as I was only wearing grey for quite a long period of time. This is a big step. ;) Navy, cream and a vibrant, yet not *overpowering* orange have made their way into my wardrobe. And I rather like it that way. Also--such a fan of the cobalt blue you've been wearing!! It's a great color on you.

    Congrats on getting comfortable with yourself--that is HUGE! I was talking to a priest earlier about the importance of knowing yourself...knowing your strengths and knowing your weaknesses too. He mentioned St. John the Baptist and how HE knew who he was--the one to prepare the way of the Lord. Not the light, but the one to bear witness to the light. I think as we get a little older, come to terms with who we are and who we aren't, our purpose becomes a little clearer and we can chase after it all the more vigorously. I hope that in discovering more about yourself, you are able to find exactly where God is calling you. <3

    Mariah <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!