Real Life Wednesday Shenanigans


Helllllllo, friends! I woke up this morning and realized it was Wednesday, which of course, means one of these posts...it was perfect because things have been quiet around here. Only because it was the first week of the semester and was it a crazy one indeed. I think I have a good idea of how classes will go, so now I can hopefully resume my posting schedule!

1. It's September! I can hardly believe it...probably because I feel like I'm in a Narnia of eternal summer, so fall doesn't feel real yet. We won't really get any cool, boot + scarf-wearing weather until November. It's a bit of a joykill for this Autumn enthusiast, but I am actually okay with it still being warm. Maybe it's because I'm getting better at being content with the present, but warm days + sun + cool drinks + shorts + swingy dresses are not a bad thing. Keep in mind I spent the first 20 years of my life HATING summer + its heat.

2. I dyed my hair - again. This time, as I was returning a junior, I wanted to try something a bit more chic + sophisticated. So ombre it was! Since my hair is still pretty dark from me dying it black last semester + this summer, I simply had my hairstylist add a lovely mahogany ombre to the ends. It was quite red at first, but has "settled" quite nicely. After being a natural brunette all life, I dyed my hair red during my freshman year, and then black last semester. And now I want to try alllll the colors!

3. Ever since most of my good friends studied abroad this summer, I've been itching to travel even more. I love this post about why you should travel alone and these tips for solo female travelers. I've flown by myself quite a few times, but have never experienced another country much less another state alone. I'm excited for the future though. #postundergradplans

4. I'm feeling very French these days, thanks to taking ballet, my constant love for winged eyeliner, French class, and the La Croix sparkling waters that I've been obsessed with. The coconut flavor is absolutely insane and I finished off a case quicker than I should have.

5. I loved Mariah's post about trying to juggle it all. I'm only one week into the semester and already I've had to say no to some things and decide against some great opportunities. But at the end of the day, I can only give so much. And spreading myself too thin never, ever ended well. So here's to being more realistic!

6. It is hot, so I've been wearing shorts, striped shirts, this floral island top, and maxi dresses. I'd love to have a kimono like Carrie's, though. Perfect for summer!

7. The best friend and I watched Only Lovers Left Alive with Tom Hiddleston + Tilda Swinton...it was fascinating and very interesting. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Not a "blockbuster" flick or normal drama at all. The vampire film had a very art-house feel regarding the cinematography and soundtrack. Tom, of course, was brilliant as the reclusive rock musician Adam and Tilda was unbelievably cool with a huge head of white blonde hair. Their vampire power couple put Edward and Bella to shame. (warning: there was nudity at one point in the film and as for violence, they are vampires, so...)

Speaking of movies, I had to watch The King's Speech as homework for my screenwriting class - the struggles, I know. I'd seen it before but loved it even more the second time around. I am in awe of Colin Firth. It's like the man is incapable of bad acting! Geoffrey Rush + Helena Bonham Carter were equally amazing, of course. Sigh. British actors have my heart. Every. Time.

8. I like to remind people (but often fail at reminding myself) that we all have bad days and struggle with insecurities, but there is an awesome confidence that comes from being you and owning it, as a good friend told me. I've grown so much in confidence from my high school days and even since freshman year, but I needed to hear it the other day. So whatever it is that's bringing you down, maybe something people goodnaturedly tease you about whether it's your name, your height, or your beliefs -  DO YOU. No one else can be you...so be proud of it.

Sending you all my love and support, friends. Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comments - they mean the world to me. I want to cheer you on as much as you cheer me! So let me know how your week's been!

{as always, joining Jess at How Sweet Eats for RLW}

Comments

  1. I love these real life posts. I've been feeling French lately too! I'm in French class, and definitely wear a lot of winged eyeliner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the RLW love, Lauren! And yes...winged eyeliner + French class are always good things. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for red hair! (although I am a natural) There is something about it that makes one look more alive.
    The King's Speech was fantastic! I loved the relationship between the two men!
    Speaking of Tom Hiddleston, have you seen the new Jaguar car commercial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky - I've always wanted to be a natural redhead! I'll just call you Amelia Pond, then. And yes, yes - it was SUCH a fantastic story about the friendship between Bertie and Logue.

      As for the Jaguar commercial, I have indeed seen it. Many, many times.

      Delete
  3. Dude, "The King's Speech" is one of the best dramas ever made. The ending. It's brilliant. And Colin Firth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely became one of my favorite films after I watched it this second time. Colin is always wonderful. <3

      Delete
  4. The King's Speech is one of my favorite films. It's just impeccable all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The King's Speech is one of my favorite films. It's just impeccable all the way around.
    (I tried to enter this before, but I don't know where it went!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so good! Everything is brilliant - script, cast, costumes, cinematography, and the soundtrack.

      Delete
  6. I feel like this is the week when it's easiest to overcommit and think you can, in fact, take 21 hours and be in that production and be leadership for that club and a member of six others and still somehow have time to sleep, study, and acquire food. It's like the beginning of the semester with its hope and optimism for the year and the light workload are working against us. :) I also really want to travel. Like right now, pack my suitcase, go to the airport and fly away to somewhere cold and rainy (basically Scotland) to escape the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lisa - already things are getting insane! Taking on too much in previous years has finally caused me to step back and start re-evaluating things carefully BEFORE I commit to them. There's so much to do, but only so much I can actually give. I hear you about the traveling...Scotland sounds amazing!

      Delete
  7. FOR REAL. Did it make my day to be part of your post? Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh YES. Thanks, sweet!

    Also, I so hear you with being french-obsessed. Soo hear you. Now I need to go off and buy some eyeliner to get some wings goin' on.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you are so sweet! I loved your post - I was supposed to comment, but I think I had to run out the door and just had enough time to add your link to this RLW because I wanted to share your beautiful writing!

      And girl. Go get thee some eyeliner. Asap.

      Delete
  8. I just adore your Wednesday posts, girl! (And gosh..your insta pics are just gorg) ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank ya, girly! Means so much to me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!