What To Do When You've Had a Late Night

Monday, August 11, 2014

yes, I've used this image before but it's even more relevant with this post. deal with it. 

We've all been there before. Maybe we stayed late at a friend's house, maybe we were up studying into the wee hours of the dawn or engrossed in an enthralling book or traveling and got in absurdly late.

Or maybe we got sucked into watching British YouTube vlogs...or innumerable Once Upon a Time episodes. Until the wee hours of the morning.

Do as I say, not as I do, friends.

Whatever the reason, we've all suffered from a late night followed by little sleep and the morning after where not only do you have somewhere to be at an early hour. So here's some of my "morning after" tips for curing a lack-of-sleep hangover.
1. Wash your face immediately. Cold water wakes you up and will help reduce any puffiness under your eyes and around your cheeks.

2. Blast a wake-up song. I usually start my morning Spotify playlist or open up Pandora. You want something upbeat and happy that will get you moving and add a bit of brightness to the all-too-early wake up call. I promise, it makes a world of difference to have a morning soundtrack.

Some of my tried and true favorites are:
Awakening (Switchfoot)
When Will My Life Begin (Tangled)
C'mon, C'mon (One Direction)
Roar (Katy Perry)
Wake Me Up (Avicii)
Kiss You (One Direction)
When Did Your Heart Go Missing (Rooney)
Pompeii (Bastille)
and my latest favorite - Dance Love by the Millennial Youth Pirates featuring Mindy Gledhill and starring Olympian Kate Hansen's mad dance skills.

3. Slather on that concealer. I've said it before and I'll say it again...concealer is a girl's best friend, especially during college and post-college years! I love this Instant Age Rewind roll-on one from Maybelline and used it all through freshman + sophomore year of college.

I've since switched over to Maybelline's FIT line for variety and equally love it. I use both the Sand (shade #20) and Medium (#25) as I need Sand during winter/spring when I'm paler and Medium in the summer. I'm between shades right now, so I layer both under my eyes and blend away!

4. Coffee. Repeat. I can face any challenge, any class, any insane wake-up time, any unbearable thing as long as I have coffee. I also find cold coffee makes me more alert than hot coffee does (coffee is coffee though and I take it whatever temperature I can get it). So I try to keep a carton in the fridge if I don't have the time/money/energy to grab some from a coffeeshop.

The Starbucks Discoveries Vanilla Latte is my favorite...y'all, I'd consider myself a iced coffee carton connoisseur - I have tried a lot of brands - and this is by far one of my favorites. It's so strong there has to be fresh shots of espresso secretly hidden in it somehow! It also comes in Mocha and Caramel, which I also like, so I generally rotate between flavors each trip to the grocery store. International Delight is a less pricey, but also good option. Their Vanilla flavor tends to be too overly sweet for me, so I like the Mocha more.

5. Wear comfy, loose clothes. I don't know about you, but when I'm tired and groggy in the morning, the last thing I feel like is trying to put together a stylish outfit. I know I look tired and puffy, so why even bother? Most of the time you don't have the energy or time to try...instead, I've found having a "uniform" of sorts works best for days like these.

1//2//3
Shift dresses, maxi skirts, leggings/yoga pants, slouchy cardigans, and loose jackets or tunics are your friends - not only are they comfortable and usually soft, but they're casually stylish enough so you don't look like you just rolled out of bed in your pjs or a stained t-shirt. You can't go wrong with a neutral palette: grey, black, sage green, camel, or navy are all great choices that don't require any thought.


4//5

And if you really do want to jazz it up a bit, keep things simple and no-brainer by reaching for a striped shirt or chambray top with dark pants or leggings. Tie that hair in a messy bun or ponytail + you're set!

6//7

6. Last, but not least, reach for sunglasses. Not only do they shield your tired eyes from the sun as you step out into the harshly bright world, but they also cover up any puffiness, under-eye circles, and general signs of exhaustion that still might show.

counterclockwise: 1//2//3//4//5
Also, you get to feel very posh and glamorous in the snootiest sense possible..."Oh look - humans...ugh, you're all far too inferior for me to look upon you, so I shall hide my eyes and pretend to be far more important and put together than I really am." 

I always have a pair in my purse or backpack and have amassed quite a collection. Forever 21 and Target are my favorite stores for finding a variety of cute pairs that also manage not to break the bank. 


So there you go, friends! My top tips for getting your one hot mess of a self together after a late night. Hope you enjoyed - let me know if you have any additional tips. How do you recover from late nights?

14 comments:

  1. Clothes that are both very pretty and REALLY comfortable are a lifesaver on those kinds of days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Files post away for upcoming sleep deprivation in college*
    This will certainly be helpful! One thing I've tried is laying out my clothes the night before if I KNOW I'm going to be up late. It gives me 5-10 extra minutes in the mornings. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha...love your asterisks sentence. And laying out clothes the night before helps me too...but there are definitely nights when it doesn't happen because I'm too tired!

      Delete
  3. My wake-up songs alternate between Eye of the Tiger and Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul. :p Nothing like those two to get you pumped up in the a.m.

    Late nights are the story of my existence, and usually not by choice. (I will fail at motherhood.) Thanks for these suggestions!

    Country Girl's Daybook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, I'm pretty sure I'll fail at motherhood too./become an official zombie...love that you add a spiritual pump up song to your mornings. :)

      Delete
  4. This is hilarious. ♥♥ Of course, I'd add coffee to the list. xD Also, if you run around the block or even get yourself moving, things generally seem to cheer up, eh? Bless you, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, was coffee seriously already added to the list? xD Sorry, Grace. HAH. I'm blind.

      Delete
  5. Hilarious!!! My remedy is just coffee, coffee and more cofffee as well as concealer so people don't keep telling me I look tired! Also something bright like lipstick helps because people then think, that you are on top of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ma'am! I like your remedy - coffee, coffee, and more coffee is always a good thing! Also...yes. I forgot about the ipstick tip. It really does make a difference!

      Delete
  6. Funny and timely, after a night of staying up late worrying needlessly about my roughed out degree plan (why does my double major seem so impossible late at night?!?). I try to get a good dose of natural light as soon as possible - it actually shakes off residual melatonin in your brain to help you be as awake as you can be! Comfy clothes, coffee, and moving around as much as possible are all also musts. :) Thanks Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa! And double majors (or a major and minor, in my case) definitely cause some good freak out sessions...I hear you! That's another great idea about natural light...it does seem to help. :)

      Delete
  7. Love it! I'll take coffee off the list and add some hot pumpkin chai instead:)
    Cold showers usually work really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up for pumpkin chai any day - as long as it's fall, though. It feels wrong to drink anything pumpkin outside of autumn/winter.

      Delete