Wednesday, August 13, 2014

How Real Can Ya Get? (Wednesday Stuff)



1. I know I mentioned this last week after I got back from the Real Madrid game, but I am in love. Can we just talk about how gorgeous bae #1 is?

 (And yes, I'm completely ignoring the fact that he's in a committed relationship and is a dad...or perhaps that's what makes him so safe. We'll never ever be together!) Anyways. I usually stay calm when it comes to guys - unless we're talking about Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Richard Armitage - but this is the first time I am fangirling hard over an athlete.

2. My younger brother has started re-watching LOST again. From the first season. I'm not sure how I feel about this...I did get sucked into the two episodes leading up to the entire series finale and shocked myself by bawling over the death of major characters who I haven't thought about it years.

SPOILER: I literally could not keep it together during the submarine sinking scene with Sun + Jin....and the bomb explosion with Syaid!!! WAH. It was like Rose and Tennant's Doctor all over again. I hate evil  TV writers who wreck my emotions. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Moffat.

3. My sunglasses collection is becoming quite legit. As of right now, I have 8 (9?) pairs ranging from cat-eye to aviator to John Lennon-esque round ones. These sorts of problems are good ones.


Also, I feel like you can get away with saying anything while wearing sunglasses...Thanks, Kristen. 

4. I discovered the lovely Rachel's blog last month and her series on singleness is truly one of my favorite weekly reads. There is so much truth and real talk in the posts she shares! Read this week's post here.  

5. This post and this one about Robin Williams, who passed away this week. He was a man who brought much laughter to my life and to others'. 

6. I loved reading Sophie's refreshingly different view of the "how to grow your readership" posts...instead, she urges you to be original. It is certainly frustrating to stay true to yourself in the blogsphere when so many bloggers have a huge readership base and are sponsored, thus causing more and more people to start blogs in the hopes of becoming internet famous quickly also.

For me, it's been something I've thought of and struggled with a great deal recently - how much do I blog for myself and how much is for readers? I loved the freedom I felt during my first years of blogging when I felt I could share whatever and whenever I wanted. Now, there seems to be so much pressure to be as specific and professional as possible. It's all about what you can offer the reader. Which, as a blog reader myself, I completely understand that. But guess what? It's your blog...so you should really write for you. If other people like your voice and point of view, that's great. But it doesn't define you as a person or give you more/less "worth" online. Just some thoughts...

7. This 25 ways to feel less alone list reminded me how much I love being alone, despite my extroverted nature. I've a secret introvert side that grows stronger each year.

8. I just discovered Emma Approved (again, lightyears behind the rest of the blog world) and am hooked. I loved the modern day, YouTube series "The Lizzy Bennet Diaries" and think this series based on Austen's Emma is just as good.

 Firstly, Mr. Knightley? Adore.

Secondly, I want all of Emma's clothes. And her hair. And her makeup skills.

And her mod, chic office. Kaythanksbye.

9. Just 10 bajillion more reasons (like these 19) why I love Mindy Kaling. She tells it like it is. Like what every girl thinks when she's arguing with the guy she likes. Or how we FB stalk potential love interests. Or sass it up.

10. And lastly, this is how I've felt all week (and last week too, to be honest). Jack's got it figured out.

How's your week going, friends? Do you have an unrealistic crush? Or a new series you're watching?

8 comments:

  1. Unrealistic crush? Where do I begin... How about Matt Bomer. Which only reinforces my belief that the most adorable men are either emotionally unavailable, in the seminary, or gay. Blergh.

    As for a new series, I've recently discovered 30 Rock, and am quite enamored. Liz Lemon and I are one. It's freaky.

    The Starving Inspired
    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iris, bahaha -YES AND AMEN about all the gorgeous men being either emotionally unavailable, in seminary, or gay. So. True.

      Delete
  2. About blogging originally... okay, YES, canwetalkaboutthis? Opposite from you, when I first started blogging, I was actually trying to copy another girl's blog, and it was about a year later when I finally began to realize my own style of blogging. And I've never looked back. I'm thankful that I'm able to publish each post without regret now, but I wish that I had the courage before to write in my own way. Now blogging for me is delightful and so refreshing, and I don't feel the need to impress others because I am happy doing what I'm doing now; I've discovered that writing for me (and the glory of God) satisfies me sooo much more. Be yourself, and it's amazing what good things come from it.

    Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. <3

    sami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami - um, heck yes! Let's even grab coffee and talk some more about it if I ever fly out to California again. I love that you were able to realize and recognize your own "voice." I think it's so hard to find in the blogging world because there are certain blogs you love and naturally want to emulate. But being true to yourself is so much more fulfilling. <3 Love ya, girly!

      Delete
  3. I love this. ♥♥ Firstly, you adore my trifecta of British genius as well? Cumberbatch, Hiddleston, and Armitage. BEST. (So talented muchly, yes?) (And their voices.) (I swear that it's their voices.)
    Anyway. The "big blogging question". Amen. I actually blog for myself, but if there's something awesome that I think that someone needs to know/ see/ be enlightened/ be edified with, I'll definitely make that a priority. Having said that, it sounds really narcissistic -- it's not, but everything I do is for myself, and obviously, for Our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pere darling, yes...let's have a moment of silence for the beautiful trio that is Ben, Tom, and Richard. Be still my tall, dark, British-loving heart. And sounds like you've got it right with the blogging thing. I think you are so true to yourself!

      Delete
  4. You shared Emma approved just in time! I am at that exhausted too much going on stage and I need to just have a few days and watch Emma! Last time I watched the Lizzie Bennet diaries and by the time it was all done life was good again! It just gives me a good break from real life!! Thanks for sharing and posting!!! I love these posts and part of me really wants to steal your idea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed!! I found it at 1 am the other night, so I couldn't binge watch as much as I wanted, but I loved what I did see. And you should definitely share a weekly update - I love seeing other people do them too!

      Delete

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!