Real Life Wednesday: Coffee Talk + Other Life Stuff

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Hey, friends - today's my day off, so I caught up on sleep and am relaxing today. Can we pretend we're meeting up for coffee to chat about life + stuff? I'd have an iced coconut coffee and a large glass of water since I love the stuff...so pull up a chair and your favorite drink. 

via

1. I've been thinking a lot about love, romance, relationships, and the beauty of different seasons in our lives - including singleness - hence this post about Love, about realizing it's okay to say yes to it. It was one of those posts that I was almost nervous to hit 'publish.' Loooooooots of vulnerability. I actually wrote it over 6 months ago, so that should tell you something. But it finally felt right to post it. And your positive feedback was so reassuring. 

2. As I mentioned in my last post, I've been taking it easy regarding the internet + social media the past two weeks. Partly because I was recovering from my wisdom teeth surgery, partly because I've been working, and partly because it's nice to feel a little silence and calm. Tsh wrote a great post about how after taking a break from social media while in Tuscany, the Internet seemed so LOUD when she got back to the states. And I realized I'd been coming to the same opinion. 

Now, I'd like to clarify - I love blogging, I love Instagram, (we all know about my Pinterest addiction),I love the strength + joy that can be found in an online community. Some of the most inspiring women I know are women + girls I don't actually know in real life. But the world is so noisy, and unlike the real world, I can actually control how much "noise" I experience online. So instead of rushing around to scramble together a 4th of July style post or posting over the weekend, I just enjoyed the time with my family and read some great books. I breathed. 

3. Side note to #3: I went through my Facebook friend list and simplified it to include only people I actually talk to/like/who are special to me. I'm not a fan of FB anymore...I find it contributes a good bit to my "noise" stress and I rarely felt afterwards that there was any benefit to checking it. It used to be that I'd not check it for a day and then worry, "Oh my goodness, what have I missed??" Now I'm finding I care less. I'd be tempted to delete it, but I do enjoy how I am able to connect to long distance friends or see important life announcements like "I'm engaged! I'm having a baby! I'm moving!" and so on. But it felt good to simplify things...I was "FB friends" with people I don't even talk to anymore, people who have disactivated their accounts, people who do not bring positivity into my life.

4. I'm really, really love being single. These last two months of summer, I think, will be ones of taking time to breathe (when I'm not working), enjoying time by myself, and drawing deeper to Jesus. My best friend's studying abroad, several other friends are taking summer school elsewhere, and my school friends are all back in Texas/their respective states. So I think this summer is a wonderful time + opportunity to live and be single and even on my own. 

Cough. As alone as you can get while living at home with a large family. But I think y'all know what I mean. It's contentment in the little things: walking the dog by myself and enjoying the peace, grabbing coffee solo, diving into a fantastic book, curled up in an armchair writing + pondering. As you get older, life gets louder and busier, so I'm finding myself yearning for quiet alone time more and more with each year. I want to get into a good, productive morning routine, so I can't wait for more of Mary Beth's Steady Days series. 

5. On a lighter note, I painted my nails navy blue with this Julep color for 4th of July weekend and love, love, LOVE how it looked. It's a dark matte color, so it almost looks black at first glance, but then you realize it's not quite black. Plus, it makes my hands look tanner, so I'm a fan. 

6. Despite working last weekend, I did manage to hit up Old Navy's big sale and got some gold rings (surprise, surprise), a Breton striped shift (again, shocker, right?), metallic ballet flats, and a dress. Can we talk about how trying on clothes after a long, stressful, tiring day is not fun? 

But then...then I found THE DRESS. It was one of those dresses that looked simple + ordinary on the hanger and then was MAGIC when you put it on. I went from tired + grumpy to smiling and twirling. One of those dresses...

7. And lastly, I can't wait to try the home recipe for awesome festival hair and this post about orange lipstick has me inspired - I absolutely love the first shade! And Emily's tutorial on a peach bronzer look has me swooning...as if I'm not in love with bronzer enough. 

What's up with you lately? I'd love to know what's on your heart or what you've been up to!

8 comments:

  1. We went to Old Navy the other day too! I'm always so surprised about the great styles they have in... so many cute skirts and dresses. :) Glad to hear you're feeling a little bit better, Grace! And yes, I know, I'm taking a break from FB for at least the next three days; we need to take time to see what's happening in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sam - it was one of those "I want everything in the store" moments. And thanks for the well wishes! I agree about taking a FB break...they do a lot of good.

      Delete
  2. I am drinking an iced coffee whilst sitting down and "chatting". Well I have been dong a lot of swimming+tanning, World Cup watching, babysitting, reading & thinking about my last year in HS. It would so much fun to go shopping with you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, love that iced coffee! And how fun - I haven't had time to swim + tan but that sounds perfect for summer! And shopping would be so much fun. :)

      Delete
  3. It's great to hear updates on your life, Grace! I'm also coming to terms with being single and just trying to be grateful with my life at the moment. On a lighter note, I've never had a coconut iced coffee and now I really want to try it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting, Paula! I'm so glad to hear how you're doing...I agree that it can be very hard to be happy being single, but that it CAN be great to be single. And you definitely need to try that coconut iced coffee, ;)

      Delete
  4. Julep! I just got a free mystery box from them yesterday, and so far I love their colors! Now, if only I could paint my nails evenly. ;p
    Country Girl's Daybook

    ReplyDelete
  5. *belts* "AAAANNND IF I'M FLYIN' SOLO AT LEAST I'M FLYIN' FREE..."
    Also, we could do a little Idina mash-up and take that line from Frozen - "Yes I'm alone, but I'm alone and free!" ♥♥♥
    (All the single ladies. Love your posts. ♥)

    ReplyDelete