Thursday, June 12, 2014

Why It's Okay to be "Normal"


I don't know about you, but I don't always like the idea of being normal. I'm not exactly normal to begin with, compared to other secular young adults. And I firmly believe that all the best people are a little bit crazy and strange in a good way. As, Alice was told in Wonderland, "We're all mad here."

But sometimes, I wonder if there's too much pressure to not be normal. 

Normal is boring, we're told. It's average, mediocre, and stationary. Be extraordinary, we're told, and revolutionary and special...stand out and be a leader, not a follower. 

And while that's wonderful motivation and encouragement, sometimes we can try so hard to be anything but normal that we end up exhausted. 

Because sometimes, normalcy is a good thing. Sometimes we just want to be an ordinary person sitting in a chair, unnoticed and unimportant in the grand scheme of things...I've been watching quite a few films and tv shows which has led to me musing about fame and the people in our society that we praise as being special. I thought how difficult it must be for famous and successful people in the public eye - actors, musicians, politicians, speakers, writers, dancers, etc. Yes, they are widely known, well-paid, and pursing their passion...but they can't always lead normal lives. 

And they're normal people just like us. Just like us, they have bad days, days when they just want some peace and quiet, to be left alone, to go for a walk or a coffeeshop and not have to wear sunglasses. The world, and America especially, seems to be obsessed with fame, beauty, and wealth...but how often do we stop to realize how good we have it as "normal" people?

We're not stalked by paparazzi, we're not under incredible high pressure to have our billion-dollar film do well at the box office, to close an important multi-million dollar business deal, to make political decisions that affect not only our nation but also possibly the world, or pen the next hit single on the radio. We don't have to strut on a runway in impossibly high heels in front of the entire fashion world. We don't have to do all of these things to ensure that our public image is still intact in order for people to admire and appreciate us. 

We are normal girls + women who are loved and supported by family, by friends, by peers because of our normalcy. 

Because when did we put a price on value? When did beauty become about appearance and always looking young + fit instead of showcasing someone's spirit + personality? 

I know myself - and I'm not Wonder Woman. I will never be her. I am someone who appreciates the little things in life. Someone who treasures and enjoys the normalcy of my life. And that is not boring - because a real, normal woman is a woman who both struggles and succeeds, who has good hair days and dark under-eye circle days, who strives to live out her faith and strains against spiritual dryness, who desires to do great things in His name and accepts the mundane setbacks. 

That is the kind of woman I want to be. A normal one. And there's nothing wrong with that. 

10 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts! They are perfect and relevant and well thought out and written!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carey, that means so much - thank you! <3

      Delete
  2. Oh, I loved this. It is a different take on life, to be sure... I'll be pondering this the next few days. Thanks, Grace girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha. I'd never really stopped to think about how normal can be a good thing, but as life speeds up (as you'll find it does after high school), normalcy has become sweet + precious.. Love ya, girlie!

      Delete
  3. LOVED this post

    stop by,
    http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/2014/06/a-beautiful-giveaway-beach-tote.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts!! I heard a quote once: "Everybody wants to be normal, but nobody wants to be average." We're always trying to be big dreamers/achievers/etc. but a lot of times that's based on our faulty perfectionist or performance-based-acceptance mentalities.

    In the past five years, I've been praying the Litany of Humility...it's so great and reminds me it's okay to be humble, in the background, a listener...God uses that too in big ways!

    You're wise beyond your years, little sis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thank you so much for your lovely comment! That is a great quote...I think many of us are afraid of being average. Although I think that's a great idea to pray the Litany of Humility. I certainly need a good, constant reminder that it's not about me. :)

      Delete
  5. This is really hitting home for my Grace dear. I definitely feel sometimes that I don't want to achieve super amazing things because I'll be exhausted and sacrifice my other ideals in the process. Our first job is being a saint and a disciple, and technically those things aren't "normal" to the world, but they are humble and hidden. The glory isn't about us, it's about Him. And I love being able to hide behind Him.
    And who am I kidding, I hate the spotlight to be on me. ;)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz-girl. I think all of us girls definitely struggle with it....especially since there's so much pressure to "do well" even more so if you have a college education and your parents have paid tuition! But I always try to remind myself that my career and how successful I was won't matter at the end of my life - but rather whether I loved + served God as much as I could. :)

      Delete

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!