Friday, June 20, 2014

The Man I'd Marry

I've dreamed, many times in the wistful half-serious way, about the man I'd marry. That he'd be a musician. Or a photographer. Or an artist. That I'd marry another creative soul.


Someone who made art with his fingers in some way, who would romance + love me with his art. Through song, through gently falling notes. Through the capturing of a moment on film. Someone who chased beauty and savored the silent moments of sunshine amidst shadows.

I wanted to sit at his feet and watch his strong fingers brush against guitar strings or trail across black + ivory keys. Hear his voice sing words from his soul. Or see his eyes narrow intently + gaze through the lens of a camera at the magic he's trying to capture. Peek over his shoulder as he sketched, bringing life to white paper with grey smudges of pencil or crayon...smile as he painted with color + care, capturing the world around him in a swirl of light and oils with flicks of a brush.

There is something romantic + artistic + adventurous + breathtaking about loving and being with someone who sees the magic in the world. Who creates it with his own eye. As a creative soul, I longed to share that bond with him - with the man I'd marry. I wanted us to create art together. To inspire each other. I knew he would be my inspiration. And I wanted to be his.

But I'd forgotten...that sometimes dreams are just that. Dreams. And if we cling too tightly to them, we can sometimes miss reality - which, while often different than we imagined, can be so much more wonderful. If we only see it.

Because we're all creative souls in one way or another. Some of us exude it more openly through a regular form of art - writing, singing, photographing, playing, painting, sketching, sculpting, carving, dancing, sewing, designing. But some of us live it out in more everyday, ordinary ways.

And that's the man I will marry. My dreams of marrying another full-fledged artist were only wistful 'it-would-be-so-nice-if...' dreams. I never decided he had to be an artist. But I wanted him to be, in some form or fashion.

And he will be...just in a different way than I am. There are some things in life, I've learned, you just know. 

Some call it intuition, I call it the Holy Spirit. Because He prompts + stirs + moves our hearts in strange ways that we don't always understand.

So I've known for a long time now what the man I'll marry will be like. He'll be steady + thoughtful; more serious than me; but with a smile that will light up the room + light up my life; he'll be kind and good and considerate and he'll make me laugh harder than I've ever laughed. And he won't be a musician or singer or artist or dancer or photographer or actor. He'll be something different than all of those things.

And that's okay. Because he will make art in his own way. He'll have a way with words, he'll see the magic in life, he'll be moved + stirred by beauty, he'll want to live out a grand story of art. He'll be a creative soul - just in his own special way. And he will always be my muse + inspire me to create. And I'll inspire him to create too...to create in his way.

That is the man I will marry. The man I will happily and proudly marry. The man I want to marry.

10 comments:

  1. This is so excellent (for the record, I absolutely love your reflections on love/beauty/romance/marriage. They are all so beautiful, and so *real*.). My doctor refers to intuition as, "the natural phone God uses to prod us in the right direction". :) Anyway, lovely thoughts; you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lovely and I'm so glad to "know" you in the blogsphere. Thank you for your sweet words...I love your doctor's way of putting it! So, so true. ♥

      Delete
  2. EXACTLY. <3 I was just thinking about this the other day! This is just great... it spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is soul-stirringly beautiful. Intuition is very real. Biggest moments of my life boil down to intuition and whether I listened or not. Thank you for sharing this bit of loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Lauren. That is very sweet. I quite agree...listening to my intuition is one of the hardest things I've ever learned!

      Delete
  4. *CRYING* YOU ARE TOO MUCH LOVELINESS. ♥♥ Man, your words... why do they strike me so much? Seriously, just go publish a book with all of your romance/ courtship/ marriage musings, and I'll buy it. Now. ;)

    ie, thanks so much, Raewyn, love you so much ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness, you are too sweet! Thank you for that compliment - I would love to write a courtship/romance/singleness book. That's certainly an idea to consider. ;) ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful.. and pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. <3 thank you
    Country Girl's Daybook: Jesus, Photography, Fashion, & Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad. :) Thank you, Iris!

      Delete

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!