Saturday, May 24, 2014

What I'm Loving: TV + Films

Happy Memorial Day weekend! I'm currently visiting family back in Texas...which means breakfast tacos, margaritas, good Mexican food, and cute babies. I'm pretty happy.

I love a good show or film, so I thought I'd share some of my recent favorites.

Although....let's be honest here. This post is going to be 99.99% tv shows, because I - like every other college student - live on Netflix. I loved going to the movies and still do, but as soon as I became a college student, I turned into a cheapskate. Why would I spend $5-$7 on a movie ticket when I could spend that on groceries - or coffee???? As a result, I haven't seen many films lately (except, you know, Frozen). Which means I saw basically none of the films nominated at the Oscars this year.

Ahem. On with the shows! 

Sherlock. If you aren't watching this by now and in love with Benedict Cumberbatch, shame on you. It's witty, insanely fast-paced, thoroughly British, and a brilliant modern-day interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. 

Chuck. A bit of an oldie but so good - I discovered the show over Christmas break. Cute nerd who has government secrets in his head and had to become a spy? So many laughs. I also love Chuck's family + his dysfunctional co-workers at his cover job.

Merlin. My heart! I am such a sucker for tall, slender, dark-haired, blue-eyed guys with an accent, and Colin Morgan as the title character is no exception. I love this show so much and am dragging out each episode in the last season because I don't want to say goodbye. 

How I Met Your Mother. I recently got in to this after hearing all the hype. I'm really not a fan of the main character, but Neil Patrick Harris's Barney makes up for any flaws. So hilarious. Any guy who frequently says, "Suit up!" is someone I want to be friends with.




Arrow. UGH. So, so, so good. I initially scoffed at the poster and any mention of it, but was confronted by my younger sister after getting home for spring break and was emphatically told I was going to watch it. 

Scandal. OBSESSED.
1) Kerry Washington's gorgeous wardrobe of soft, neutral hues.
2) The "scandals" the writers come up with.
3) The tortured love story between Olivia Pope (Kerry) and the married President of the United States.
4) Kerry Washington. 

Psych. If you haven't seen this show about two best friends pretending to be a psychic team in order to solve crimes, put your life on hold, grab a pineapple, and go watch the show. Shawn and Gus will thank you. 

White Collar! I clearly enjoy detective drama/comedy shows, and this is no exception. I love this show, set in New York, about Neal Caffrey- an art thief + forger who gets out of prison in exchange for working with the FBI agent who caught him. A gorgeous, witty, smooth-talking man in a suit. Sold.

And now on to films! I haven't been to the movie theater much lately what with school + tv shows, so as always Netflix is my best friend.

I've already raved about Mom's Night Out, but really...go see it. I died laughing and can't wait to see it again!

I was in a Jane Austen mood the other night and re-watched the 2007 made for tv film Persuasion. The actress who plays Anne is depicted with very minimal makeup and could almost be called plain, but I think she's beautiful and very talented. And it's such a sweet story about two people who still love each other after 8 years.



I recently saw the Jane Austen Book Club for the first time...there's some interesting plot points in this movie about a group of women and one guy who get together to read Jane Austen while dealing with their messy lives. One of the women, played by Emily Blunt, is a teacher who's attracted to her high school student and contemplating having an affair. Another woman is going through a divorce while her daughter (who is a lesbian) deals with relationship struggles also.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the light-hearted film...mostly because of Hugh Dancy who completely steals the entire show with his adorably nerdy tech whiz character who falls for one of the older women in the book club. He was just so bashful and precious. I watched it with a group of girls and we couldn't stop exclaiming over how adorable he was.



We then watched The Young Victoria (it was an unofficial Emily Blunt movie night), which I've seen before and loved even more the second time around. It follows the girlhood and rise to the throne of Queen Victoria.


I love, love this film. Not only is Emily Blunt magnificent as the Queen, but her + Rupert Friend's portrayal of Victoria and Prince Albert's love story is so beautiful and sweet that it always brings me to tears. Not to mention the costumes are simply exquisite. And as usual, it's chockful of all the great British actors that we see in almost British period piece: Paul Bettany, Miranda Richardson, Jim Broadbent, Mark Strong, and Harriet Walter. It's a perfect girls' night film!

What shows or movies have you loved lately? Let me know - I'm looking for some good summer movies!

12 comments:

  1. I've been watching all those shows except for Scandal and White Collar! (And only because this is the first time I've ever heard of them ;) Netflix is equally wonderful and dangerous. :p

    The Young Vic is my mom's favorite movie of all time - so good. And it's a TRUE STORY! That's the best. :)
    Country Girl's Daybook: Jesus, Photography, Fashion, & Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both so good! I highly recommend them. And yes, I love that The Young Victoria is true. :)

      Delete
  2. AnonymousMay 24, 2014

    If you love Austen you must watch the movie Lost In Austen. A 2008 movie. Netflix has it. The main character loves to read Austin's books. She is transported back to be with them and it is so good!!! I think you will love it! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard Lost in Austen is wonderful! I've actually been wanting to watch it for a while, so thank you for the reminder. I think I'll love it too!

      Delete
  3. I love Sherlock + The Young Victoria. ♥ So good, so British, so lovely, so fangirl-worthy, in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Britain rarely goes wrong when it comes to their on-screen work.

      Delete
  4. I've recently started Lark Rise to Candleford which I highly recommend. Very sweet. But I'll need to look into some of these shows too. I've heard of all of them and certain of my friends love them, so maybe this summer I'll have time to start something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, sounds good. I will definitely check it out! And yes, I would highly recommend Sherlock and Merlin especially. :) Gorgeous British men, witty one liners that will keep you laughing, and excellent acting.

      Delete
  5. I love Sherlock and Psych is hilarious. I was just watching an episode with my husband yesterday and it had us laughing out loud! I've also been watching quite a bit of Once Upon a Time recently, I think that's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three are excellent shows! I'm a Once Upon a Time fan also, but am so far behind it's quite shameful. I need to catch up!

      Delete
  6. I love love love Sherlock, Psych and How I Met Your Mother. White Collar and Chuck are on my Netflix list, and I've been meaning to start those soon! Another show that I think you'd like (though sadly, is not on Netflix) is Castle. It's very well written, the main characters are brilliant and it has Nathan Fillon, so that's always awesomeness. I'll have to look into the Jane Austen Book Club, and Lost in Austen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they brilliant shows?? Ahhh, they make me so happy. And oooh, I've heard wonderful things about Castle! Thank you so much for reminding it. Most of my closest friends are obsessed with Nathan Fillon. ;)

      Delete

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!