New York: Museum of Art + Rockefeller Center

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm finally getting around to posting pictures from spring break in New York - of course, there's so many, I couldn't fit them all in one post. So here are our adventures from day one!
Excited for East Coast schennagins with my mom + little sisters. 

We stayed in New Jersey, an hour commute from New York via bus, so we started the day off in Jersey with some fresh juice + smoothies (my family's been on a juicing kick lately).

Unpictured is my Dunkin Donuts iced mint latte which was gone before I snap a picture. Dunkin Donuts is the main reason I love the East Coast...not gonna lie. They have my heart, forever and ever.

Breakfast with these two cuties! It was so much fun being in New York with my sisters and mom...girls' trip!

This one's a ham, and basically the cutest chica I know. 

New York sky! It was quite grey + rainy, so we headed to the Museum of Modern Art, or the MoMA. 


I was thrilled to see that they had an entire floor dedicated to photography. Camera geek + proud of it. 

We wandered for about two hours through all the floors; I even found an original Andy Warhol.


They even had a special exhibit for the architect Frank Lloyd Wright, which was lovely. 



One of my favorite parts of going to a museum in a large, metropolitan city is people-watching...there are always so many stylish people wandering the rooms.

After a few floors, we stumbled upon the Impressionists and the beautiful "Waterlilies" piece by Monet... (!!) My inner art aficionado was dying. DYING. 

My madre and sister in front of a Van Gogh, because they wanted "photographic proof." 

I love, love, love Van Gogh's "Starry Night," so I couldn't not capture it with my camera...although it's certainly nothing compared to the real thing! And all the Doctor Who fans sigh. 


After art-gazing, we hit the streets for some more walking, in search of fresh air + lunch. 


We finally made our way to the gorgeous Rockefeller Plaza! It's probably my favorite "uptown" part of New York out of all the main tourist spots. It's pretty, clean, and surrounded by shops. What's not to love?



Street fashion...I love that New Yorkers dress so fabulously and yet simply. And that blue coat!

 For lunch, we stopped in at Bouchon Bakery, a favorite that my mom + I discovered when we were in NY last year. Not only do they have delicious sandwiches, soups, and a coffee bar, but they make the most delightful macrons.


The most beautiful grilled cheese + tomato soup. Perfect rainy day food...in New York. So, so good. 

 We were starrrrrving by this point + demolished everything in less than 15 minutes. Nothing left but crumbs!





Macarooooooooooooons: raspberry white chocolate, chocolate, and vanilla bean. 


Being modern, 21st century tourists, we needed to charge our iPhones rest our feet, so we ducked into Rockefeller Center and grabbed some Starbucks + free wifi on the bottom level. 





Then we headed back upstairs and across the street to the Lego Store!

The endless tower of every color in the world - and an Olaf!

Words to live by. 

New York is impressive at day, but there's nothing like it at night...there is definitely an excitement and magic in the air. 

Speaking of magic...we quickly headed to the Theater District for another destination. 



OZ! 
We had tickets for Wicked (sadly not the Idina Menzel version), but one that was still amazing, nonetheless. 

 The costumes and the set were absolutely breathtaking and masterful...and the story + songs were perfect.  I am unashamed to say that I cried. Multiple times. It was such a beautiful story, and I related to Elphaba in many, many ways. Any one else feel the same? 

 Also, when she belted Defying Gravity, I was definitely in tears and wanted to cheer and clap and say, "Amen, sister!!" Hello, my name is Grace. I am awkward + proud of it. 

My lovely dates to the theater. 

Of course, after a two and a half hour show, we were ready to eat again (Fact: you are always ready to eat when in New York), and after realizing that the famous Cake Boss Cafe was on our way back to Penn Station, we just had to stop in. 

Both of my little sisters are dedicated fans of Buddy Valastro and have seen every episode of his TLC show...fun fact, I've actually spoken to him on the phone! My parents were at my dad's annual business conference and Buddy was one of the celebrity guests. They stood in line for a picture, so my mother called me and put him on the phone!

So there I was standing in the isle of Hobby Lobby, casually chatting with one of America's most famous bakers about how much I enjoyed baking. He was ridiculously nice with a big, booming voice. Just like one of my uncles. So now you know...Buddy and I are actually BFFs. It's totes presh, y'all.

Ahem. Sorry. Stopping now.


We couldn't not order a cannoli and went ahead + tried a few other treats as well. I mean, when it's 11 p.m. and you're in New York, you go big or go home, right? The picture above on the right is of a lobster tail, which was essentially puff pastry filled with thick, sweet custard cream. Mmmmm.

 Every night should end with a peanut butter chocolate cupcake. But really. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Amanda said...

I love love love the photos! I actually prefer Chicago to New York (what can I say? I'm an Illinois girl!) but your picture and stories make me want to go back. One day wasn't long enough!

Also... are you saying they don't have dunkin donuts in Texas? *gaspeth* how do you live?

Ms. Jeanene said...

Wow! Gorgeous photos... and the Dalton women certainly know how to pack a day chock full! I thiiiiinnk my favorite is the one of your sisters eating their grilled sandwiches... or maybe it was all the gorgeous food pics... or maybe Olaf, Lego-style. ;) Love being able to see some of what you saw and maybe feel a teensy bit of the wonder that you felt!

Grace HincapiƩ said...

What an AMAZING trip! Yep I've seen every episode as well ;)

Iris Hanlin - Writer/Photographer said...

Richard Avedon will always and forever be one of my favorite photographers. I LOVE him.

Raewyn said...

I would love to visit Chicago! I've heard great things about it, and they actually have a really good photography grad school that I'm looking at...and yes, New York should definitely be experienced in a couple days. Hope you get to go back!

And they actually do have Dunkin Donuts in Texas, but only in a few big cities ( not in my school's city)...so I associate the brand with the East Coast where they're everywhere!

Raewyn said...

Aw, thank you, Ms. Jeanene! I love the shot of the girls eating too, but Olaf is pretty adorable. :) It was a lovely trip, especially for foodies, so I think your family would greatly enjoy it if y'all ever go!

Raewyn said...

Thanks, Grace! And they are great episodes. :)

Raewyn said...

Iris, I'd never heard of him before, but his work is FANTASTIC. A master of black & white. <3

Mariah // THERE IS: said...

I saved this post for last when going through my blog feed today...it's been much anticipated on my part & no surprise that it did not disappoint! When I'm eventually able to make it to NYC I'll be in contact with you for the best places to stop---everything above looks fantastic! A whole floor to photography? I would never leave! An exhibit on Frank Loyd Wright? I'd adore that. When we lived in MI, my family took a field trip to Chicago to tour a neighborhood featuring houses designed by FLW & also a tour through his studio/childhood home/something like that. This of course took place on the PERFECT autumn day...it was the best. Such fond memories. :) Also, I would LOVE to see Wicked! Defying Gravity is the only song I really know, but boy does it have a tendency of making me cry! (now this comment is getting crazy long so I'll stop. ;) ) Thanks for sharing of your adventures!