Rainy Days are for Soft Music + Being Sick


Irony's a funny thing sometimes. No sooner did I publish my last post about being bold on Tuesday, then I began to feel sick. By evening I knew it wasn't just in my head. I made a doctor's appointment for the next day, and was told I had the flu.

Whomp, whooooomp. So much for my bold plans to tackle the day...I ended up being out for the rest of the week and had to stay home from classes to recover. A week to rest and sleep and retreat beneath pillows and blankets.

It's made me realize how much I treasure the little moments when I don't have something to do. The moments of beauty and peace. The moments of rest. The glimmer of sunshine in a smile. The concern of a friend. The warmth of a hug. The sweetness of get-well wishes.

And the overwhelming realization that we all need rest.

It's funny, the things you notice when you're tired and quiet.

When hours have stretched long, the day has demanded much, legs have walked far, and mind has worked furiously...

And then there's a brief moment of respite. An hour in between classes, a break, a catching of breath moment where you can sit and let all the weight fall. Where you can hear yourself breathe. - actually breathe - for the first time that day.

I hear my heart, quiet + beating. The gentle cadance of breath, rising and falling in almost a hint of a whisper, the heaviness of eyes that brings sweet relief from shutting the world out, and the sound of your body sighing as you allow yourself to completely let go.

Which is why rainy days are for resting, for eating tomato soup + crackers, for thinking and musing, and sleeping, and for rainy day music. 



I'll be back with the NYC recap as soon as I'm back to normal. Happy rainy Sunday, friends. 

Comments

  1. This is too inspiring. I believe America promotes busyness too much...it's a good thing, but we also need to rest. Yay for Sundays. :) Your describings of peace in illness kind of makes me want to be sick again so I can experience your quiet times, lol! Hope you feel better! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Inspirer - I agree that we promote busyness too much as a culture. I myself am guilty of loving to be busy…but I've come to treasure the moments of rest and the weekends. Haha, and as for "quiet times" while being sick, it's in between a lot of coughing and sneezing! ;) Thanks, lovely!

      Delete
  2. Hope you get well soon, girl! Lovely tunes. <3 God bless you & happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace! I much appreciate the well-wishes!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with ya there... I love rainy days, any season (as long as I don't have to go out in it in the winter).
    Country Girl’s Daybook ~ recently: How personal is too personal? http://bit.ly/1jo8A3E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! It's so cold and rainy all the time!

      Delete
  4. Quiet, relaxing days are simply lovely. Feel better, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!