{31 Days} Day 7: Why Do We Limit Ourselves By Saying We Can't?

Monday, October 7, 2013


Why do we think we can't do certain things?

For instance, I'm a writer. I love to write fiction, and have several books in the works. I blog and write about food and fashion. But I've thought to myself many times before, 'I can't write a film script or write a play or a tv episode...I'm good, but not that good.'

But why?

Why on earth do I think that? And why do others?

Why do we tell ourselves no and limit ourselves? Who says there's a specific requirement for any of that? Each and everyone of those forms of writing can be as different as the moon is from a piece of cheese.


The story that you have to tell is good...

Art is about individuality. Not crafting a script just like Steven Spielberg or painting exactly like Frieda or being as masterful at the cello as Yo-Yo Ma.

What kind of a world is it if we are all too afraid that we cannot be good at things that other people are - just because we are different from them? Will I write like J.K. Rowling or sing like Charlotte Church or act like Meryl Streep? No....I cannot. Because that's 'them,' not me. I can write like Grace, and be the best I can be; I can sing like Grace, and be the best that I can be; and act like Grace, and be the best I can be.

And that is our calling as young women of God - to be the best us that each of us can be!

 We all struggle with feeling inadequate: with our looks, our talents, our intelligence, our gifts (or lack of)...but after years of struggling with this - and believe me, I still do - I've realized I will never look like my best friend who has a perfect hourglass figure or be able to tell the precise beat of every song or excel in science or play athletics or study law or be tall. As much as I want the last one to be true.

None of those are things that God made a part of me...none of those are my talents or gifts or abilities.

But that doesn't mean I should say I can't do things period. I am a people person so there is no reason why I can't be a public speaker or serve in a leadership position. I am a writer so there is no reason why I can't write a screenplay or a TV script. I am a performer, so there is no reason why I can't act.

I may not be a natural artist in the literal sense of the word... but there is no reason why I cannot draw or paint for my pleasure and as a means of self-expression.

When we place ourselves and our abilities into boxes and say "No, that's not something I can do," we are really telling ourselves that there is no use trying because we are not good and we will fail if we even try.

We tell ourselves we can't. 

But God didn't make us so we could put ourselves in boxes. He made us with amazing gifts and abilities...it's up to us to say, "Yes."

"Yes, we can."


What is something you've told yourself you "can't do?"

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear... there are so many things.

    I can't perform as a singer, because my voice is nice, but there are so many other people out there with better ones.

    I can write short stories, but I can't write a novel because I just don't have the patience for it.

    I can't act.

    I can't ever look as cute and stylish as all the pictures on my pinterest board. I'm just not stylish. or cute.

    I won't ever be as popular of a blogger as Jen Fulweiler or Hallie Lord or any of the other bloggers I follow.

    There's a long list.... I've been slowly working at changing my perspective on some of them, but it's a tough road.

    ReplyDelete