Wednesday, October 30, 2013

{31 Days} Day 23: Make Art (Or Do What Brings You Joy)


If there's one thing I've come to realize, it's that I don't ever want to do anything (as my profession for life) that doesn't bring me joy.

It's been on my heart a lot lately...the meaning of taking joy in what you do. In being happy with it.




Perhaps it's because I've been listening to the soundtrack of Ratatouille - a charming animated film about Remy, a little Parisian rat who finally begins living when he discovers cooking and French cuisine...his world opens up and is suddenly a beautiful, marvelous place. Because he realizes that anyone can cook. And suddenly, his life has joy. He is making art through his soups and spices and his souffl├ęs.

I've also been reading Julia Child's book, My Life in France - a book about a woman who took complete joy in what she did. And who changed the world by spreading that joy and encouraging others to take love and take joy in food + cooking.

What a woman.

And that is my view of cooking...it gives me joy. I am supremely happy in the kitchen, stirring piping hot pots of soup, folding flour into sugar and butter, rolling out pie crusts, or sprinkling fresh herbs into a savory dish. There is little experience like pulling a glistening, golden pie out of the oven or garnishing a succulent, steaming roast with a sprinkle of sea salt.

Whatever else may come, whatever else may happen, let me do what I love.

"I am going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life."
~Elsie de Wolfe

As women, we are called to be joyful - to find the joy in life, to grant joy to others through our grace. When we do that, we are fulfilling God's calling for us. He didn't make us to be miserable. He made us artists, people with passions and gifts. He made us to share those passions, the things that we take joy in.



So seek out what brings you joy. Whether it's cooking, helping others, photography, leadership, writing, studying history, working with animals, designing clothes, sketching architecture, showing love to dear ones in your life, or playing music.

Find the joy in your life. Live it, breath it, treasure it. Make it. Make it your art.

I want to do what brings me joy. I want to make art. But the best kind of art.

The kind that makes me happy and the kind that I love...because that brings me joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!