Modest Monday: What Makes You Beautiful


 Just joining the Modest Monday party? Here's the original post. Each Monday, I post a modest, stylish outfit. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion and style for purity. 
 Modesty does not equal frumpy. This is my way of showing that modesty can be fashionable and pretty. I'm a girl determined to live a life of 
purity, 
modesty, 
and plenty of style. 
__________________________________


Pardon the cheesiness ahead...you might roll your eyes, you might laugh, you might sigh...

or perhaps, you might just agree.

I've scoffed at One Direction before and wrote them off as a typical bubble gum pop boy band like so many others. I've rolled my eyes at the One Direction craze that swept seemingly most of the young female population of the entire world. I heard their breakout song "What Makes You Beautiful" so many times in stores, on the radio or in my room when my little sisters replayed it constantly, that I wanted to scream.

But.

Like so many times before, I'm eating my words.

Retracting my previous opinion. Changing my mind. Perhaps it was because I've done their song on Just Dance or decided to actually listen to it recently out of curiosity...but for whatever reason, I finally listened to the lyrics and now I can't stop singing them.


I know. I know. Stop the presses - pigs must be flying, the world ending and all that jazz.

Jeans// Wal-Mart
Wedges// Payless

But these British boys' song about a girl who doesn't know she's beautiful is so refreshing and so appealing -partly due to a recent conversation I had with one of my guy friends.

I think we girls are so hard on ourselves, we truly don't realize that we are beautiful and attractive to guys. I know my girlfriends and I think we are each beautiful; we tell each other all the time and give compliments about cute outfits or a new hairstyle. We've heard it from our female friends, from our family members like sisters, aunts, mothers, grandmothers, cousins, etc.

Dress// Goodwill  - Camisole// thrifted - Cardigan//thrifted - Accessories//Forever 21

Maybe you've dated before and have heard it from your boyfriend or been randomly complimented before by a guy.

But I've never stopped to think about whether my guy friends, the boys who are in my life in a non-romantic way, think I'm beautiful or attractive. I've often wondered if a guy that I've liked considers me attractive, but never wondered about what my male friends or acquaintances think.

But looking back over this past semester (and year) has given me a wake-up. I had a male classmate  tell me that his first impression of me when I came into class was that I was a very pretty, nice girl. Then, this summer, I was hanging out with another close guy friend (whom I've known for years) at a bookstore: during the conversation he remarked that I looked very pretty that evening.

 I remember staring at him because I had been at an outdoors graduation party earlier that day, so afterwards, my hair was frizzy, my make-up a bit faded, I was wearing glasses - I felt sweaty, messy, and anything but pretty.

You're insecure
Don't know what for, 
You're turning heads when you walk through the door, 
Don't need make-up
To cover up
Being the way that you are is enough

Now, I do think I'm pretty and even beautiful. I know that beauty is not skin deep...I was made in the likeness and image of God as we all are, so of course, we reflect His beauty. But when it comes to looking nice on a day to day basis, my opinion about how I look, like most girls' opinions, fluctuates.

So I was thoroughly taken aback when one of my close guy friends said something about my looks. I think I had cataloged male admiration into a box reserved only for my future husband or a guy who would be interested in asking me out. 

I'd never stopped to consider that my guy friends could consider me attractive like I and other girls consider various guys attractive in a platonic way. I also am heavier than I was last year, which I realized had lead me to subconsciously believe that guys didn't find me as attractive as they had when I weighed less...which is a horrible thing to think!

Our conversation sparked some serious thought...as I said above, I think most girls are used to be compliment by their girl friends and female relatives. Our culture has presented the view, through music videos, films, and tv shows, that if a guy considers a girl attractive or compliments her, then he obviously must be interested in her.

I hear, "My husband will think I'm beautiful just the way I am..." or "One day I'll meet the right guy who will see the true beauty in me."

But that's not the case! Why do we think our beauty depends on The One, Mr. Right, guys in general, or our weight?



As women and girls, we are created with beauty. Man's inherent gift is strength and a desire to protect. Woman's inherent gift is beauty and a desire to be loved. We are already beautiful.


                     
(The original song by 1D is what prompted this post - but this acoustic cover is simply lovely. 
Give it a  listen.)


My main point is that we should not sit around waiting for the right guy to appear in our lives and tell us that we're beautiful - and we certainly shouldn't wait until then to believe that we are beautiful. And we're not beautiful only when we're perfectly fit or in great shape.



Right now I'm looking at you and I can't believe,
You don't know, 
Oh oh, 
You don't know you're beautiful
Oh oh

So go out and celebrate your beauty. Stop thinking that you'll be beautiful "once you lose those 5-10 pounds" or get contacts or cut your hair or dress perfectly every day. 

We've each got our own kind of beauty - it doesn't look the same for each of us, so why should we judge ourselves based on standards of others or compare ourselves to others?



 Part of what makes being a woman so wonderful is knowing that we are beautiful and celebrating that with a cute outfit, by putting on red lipstick, by wearing our favorite hairstyle, by rocking those glasses, by wearing your lazy weekend comfy clothes, 

and by being you. 


It's what makes us beautiful. 


Head over to Come Along Pond! to see Amanda's Modest Monday!
________________________________________________


Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday. Snap a picture of your outfit (it can be as casual or gussied up as you want) and leave the link to your blog in the comments below.

Don't have a blog?
 Email (raewyn83@gmail.com)
 Instagram (raewyn83) 
or Tweet (@GracefulEats) 
me a pic of your outfit with hashtag #modestmoday if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!

{Catching up on Modest Monday? Check out all the previous weeks here.

Comments

  1. I love this! Thank you so much!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those same shoes and I love them! This is a beautiful post-very well-put.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this so much! Thank you, thank you! <3 Just what I needed to read at the beginning of a new school year. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! :)

    And here is me, linking up. ^_^

    http://amandabethrose.blogspot.com/2013/09/modest-monday-colorful-and-casual.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!