Modest Monday: Man, I Feel Like a Woman

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

[I wanted to say a huge thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your comments on my last post about my weight - it's so good to know we all struggle with the same issue, no matter what size/body type we are. 

One of the reasons why I wrote it is because I love how blogging and sharing our hearts creates a very real community where we discover others with similar experiences or who are deeply invested in matters of the heart. Thank you so much for your kind words and for reading.]



 Just joining the Modest Monday party? Here's the original post. Each Monday, I post a modest, stylish outfit. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion and style for purity. 
 Modesty does not equal frumpy. This is my way of showing that modesty can be fashionable and pretty. I'm a girl determined to live a life of 
purity, 
modesty, 
and plenty of style. 


__________________________________


It's the start of a new school year and I couldn't be more excited! I'm a sophomore this time around and well-prepared for what the semester will bring...it's nice to know what to expect this time. There are so many emotions involved with being a freshman, including nervousness and excitement. There are so many new students on campus and in the dorms; I can't help but be excited for them and what they will experience about college life. 

If there are any freshman reading, congratulations on starting college! It's a wonderful time of your life and so, so very exciting as you venture out on your own for the first time. The world is literally your oyster right now, so drink it in - and study hard! 



Dress// Ross

Cardigan// Target
Belt// thrifted
Shoes// Payless 
Nail polish// Essie
Jewelry// Icing

I both loved and loathed wearing this outfit: because the dress was so sheer and pale, I had to wear a slip, which I absolutely loathed. 

I would like to state for the record that slips. Are. EVIL. Period. 

Then when you try to wear a backpack...ugh. Words cannot describe the utter villainy that those thin articles of clothing contain. Moral of the story? Buy dresses with built-in slips/liner fabric. Or petition clothing stores everywhere to radically redesign every single dress with a slip layer. 

Amen. 


But I loved wearing this outfit because it was so pretty. I usually wear dresses and skirts with hems a little longer than this one, but I liked the delicate train of the dress, which helped the shortness not be quite so in-your-face. And just like Shania Twain song, when I walked around campus in this outfit - 
man, I felt like a woman. 

While I'm not obviously a wild girl as the song describes, I think it's fun to wear clothes that do indeed showcase our figures in a tasteful way. So this is the Grace version of a "short skirt." And I do feel like a woman in it. ;)



I found electric blue/teal eyeliner a few weeks ago. I'd always wanted to try such a fun color, and thought it'd work particularly well with my brown eyes. I. am. in. love. I love, love color (in case you couldn't tell ;) and this eyeliner is perfect for summer, so I knew I wanted to rock it for the first day of school.


Because it's such a bold hue, I choose a monochromatic outfit to really emphasize the pop of blue. This floaty ivory dress was perfect in the August heat; it has very thin straps, so I added this lightweight black cardigan which was also nice in the cooler classrooms.


My belt is a bit more blue than teal in the pictures, but in person, the colors looked similar. I loved my eyeliner and wanted to add that pop of color to my outfit else, so it was proportionally distributed. And the gold buckle ended up coordinating perfectly with my gold ring and earrings. 


And of course, what's a solid-hued dress without a dash of pizzaz? I almost wore black heels, but decided on these fun new polka dot wedges that I picked up recently. They give the outfit a fun vintage touch. 



Have a wonderful first week of school, everyone - hope your semester is a splendid one!

______________________________________________________


Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday. Snap a picture of your outfit (it can be as casual or gussied up as you want) and leave the link to your blog in the comments below.

Don't have a blog?
 Email (raewyn83@gmail.com)
 Instagram (raewyn83) 
or Tweet (@GracefulEats) 
me a pic of your outfit with hashtag #modestmoday if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!

{Catching up on Modest Monday? Check out all the previous weeks here.

8 comments:

  1. Slips are sadistic? AMEN TO THAT SISTAH!!! You look so pretty, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! They are! And thank you!

      Delete
  2. Love it!! Especially because blue is my favorite color :) Thank you so much for being such an awesome, holy inspiration!
    God Bless! Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenna! Blue is my favorite color also. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post - and you are FAR too sweet! :)

      Delete
  3. Your eye liner! I am not talented at eyeliner at all (so I go with out) wish that I could rock it like you! Happy to hear that someone else Catholic thinks/hums that part of the song "man, I felt like a woman" too! :) I don't agree with the whole of the song but love the music. To Jesus through Mary! ~Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare! I had so much fun wearing the eyeliner...and I don't consider myself good at eyeliner either, so I would certainly encourage you to play around with it! :) And yes, I love that song. It's so fun to listen to while getting ready or driving in the car. I don't support all of the ideas, but the beat is still fun.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful! I'm another Clare who really isn't any good at eyeliner but LOVES how awesome yours looks. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I don't believe that - I've always thought I'm terrible at eyeliner...I think the trick is just to practice! Thank you, dearest. Love you!!

      Delete