Modest Monday: Dressin' Up for Dinner

Monday, September 3, 2012


Aaaaaaaaaaand, I'm back! 

Hello! I've missed y'all and blogging something awful; sorry for the hiatus. Everything else in my life was somewhat put on hold for about a month due to a whirlwind of succeeding events: trip to California (which I DO plan on posting about the rest of it), last-minute shopping, packing, essay writing, finalizing college stuff, filling a U-haul trailer and our car with my life neatly packed into tubs and boxes, arriving at college, unpacking, more last-minute dorm shopping, Welcome Week and meeting a plethora of new people, the start of classes, a dorm retreat, scurrying across campus everyday, and transitioning to a new day-to-day routine!

Oh, and a mountain of homework. Literally. 

Hello, my name is Grace and I have no life but school now. 

(Ahem...kidding. Just a little. It is a lot - and it's certainly required some adjustment since there's basically twenty different assignments/readings flying around each week - but I think I'll be able to keep all the balls in the air once things calm down a bit.)

Anyhoo, so that's the reason for the silence on here. There's been so much to do, I  haven't the time to blog or even check other blogs for the first time in...maybe ever? But now I'm back in the swing of things. :) 

And speaking of which, here's a Modest Monday post! (Missed these so much!)




Just joining the Modest Monday party? Here's the original post. Each Monday, I post a modest, stylish outfit that I wear along with some thoughts on modesty. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion for purity. 
 Modesty does not = frumpy. 
These are outfits I really, truly wear in my day-to-day life. I'm a girl determined to live a life of purity, modesty, and plenty of style. :)

All photography credit: Bernadette Marie Photography - check her out on FB and at her blog!
______________________________________________________ 

I love dinner. And food in general. I think that's a well-established fact. 

But I especially love going out for dinner and dressing up. It's not a regular habit of mine, but sometimes after a long week, a very "blah" day, or hours of studying, you just want to step out on the town and feel pretty. 



The last drop of happiness in your elegant water glass that you swirl superiorly on your night out? An ultra chic outfit that comes together in 5 minutes. 

Ahh, c'est bon.



Shirt: Cato
Skirt: Old Navy
Shoes: Forever 21
Bag: Michael Kors
Headband: Premier Jewelry 




Recipe for a lovely dinner: an adorable, cozy cafe + a cute, chic outfit. 


This is one of my favorite outfits; it's extremely tempting to wear it a few times each week. This brown skirt is a staple in my closet (I bought it and the black version at a garage sale for $3). Because of its classic shape and shade, it's very versatile. It can easily be casual, but when I need to dress up a bit, I add a nice top, some heels, jewelry, and bada bing, bada boom...something that works for dinner, a play, wedding, or church. 



I love the modern green + brown + aqua chevron pattern of the shirt. The snowy white lace adds some sweetness to what could otherwise be a tad harsh top. The shirt itself is ridiculously soft and comfortable...so breathable! Perfect for a sunny day when you want something light and airy, but the Grecian sleeves are long enough that I don't shiver inside cooler restaurants.



Now, let's not get too excited. Yes, this is a Michael Kors bag, but not a $$$$$$ one. This is actually from a line designed for the more everyday-woman from a store in Houston. Much more reasonably priced!

 And of course, I've already proclaimed my love for these shoes... Just put some heels on, girls. You'll feel taller and incredibly special. Heels have a way of producing that magical effect.



Beads!

 This is one of my absolutely favorite tricks: this is actually a short necklace. Because of its length, it lies close to the throat, similar to most chokers. I, however, do not have a long, elegant neck. Mine is decidedly short, so most short necklaces end up looking like bejeweled dog collars on me. 
Not pretty. 
But I have a few short necklaces that I love...so I wear them as headbands! I use this trick all the time and never fail to get compliments on my "headband" when I do so. It's great for when you want to add a touch of sparkle to your look, but aren't the mood to wear something around your neck or happen to already be wearing a necklace/scarf/medal. 


So girls, make a note in your calandar - pick a day and a place. Go treat yourself to a dinner out; it doesn't have to be anything over-the-top. It could even be meeting a friend for coffee and dessert on a Friday or Saturday night. Or a Tuesday one! Make a weekday special and dress up. You deserve it!

You'll knock 'em dead. ;)




Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday. Link up your outfit (it can be as casual or gussied up as you want).

Shout out to Felicity, over at Felicitations for her colorful Modest Monday outfit ---> love the red jeans!




Don't have a blog?
 Email (raewyn83@gmail.com)
 Instagram (raewyn83) 
or Tweet (@GracefulEats) 
me a pic of your outfit with hashtag #modestmoday if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!

{Catching up on Modest Monday? Check out all the previous weeks here.}

15 comments:

  1. I love your modest Mondays outfits. They are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! So glad you enjoy them!

      Delete
  2. I AM OBSESSED with that MK bag! i need a new purse that's professional to take to work. do you know the name of it or a link to a site that sells that particular one? is it MK by Michael Kors brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it's such a fabulous bag! So roomy and versatile with any color scheme. It's Michael Kors from T.J. Maxx (about $70). Highly recommend it! :)

      Delete
    2. ahh TJ Maxx no way! I've been stalking the MK section on macys.com. do you happen to know the style name of the bag so i can look on ebay if my TJ doesn't have it?

      God bless!! :)

      Delete
    3. Liz ~ This is the closest MK bag I could find to it. Hope it helps! http://coolspotters.com/handbags/michael-kors-hamilton-padlock-large-tote-bag

      Delete
  3. Very, very pretty. I love the idea of a necklace as a headband!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind, Shaylynn - thanks for saying hi and for reading! (And yes, necklace headbands are wonderful; give them a whirl!)

      Delete
  4. Love love love this!!! Thanks for posting. I adore the way you put everything together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love, Rosalind. Your comment made me smile. I'm so glad you enjoy the outfits! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shoutout! Love the outfit, especially the necklance turned headband. Might just have to try that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So welcome, girlie. :) Sorry it took me so long! And thank you much, ma'am. Yes, you should try it! Warning: you may never wear a necklace the regular way again...

      Delete
  6. Your so cute. Just found your blog tonight. Love that bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brit! So sweet of you to stop by!

      Delete
  7. Those shoes and necklace head band. Wow, wish I had a necklace like that. I mainly have chains for my medals. :)

    ReplyDelete