Modest Monday: Day by the Sea

Monday, August 6, 2012



Just joining the Modest Monday party? Here's the original post. Each Monday, I post a modest, stylish outfit that I wear along with some thoughts on modesty. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion for purity. 
 Modesty does not = frumpy. 
These are outfits I really, truly wear in my day-to-day life. I'm a girl determined to live a life of purity, modesty, and plenty of style. :)

All photography credit: Bernadette Marie Photography - check her out on FB and at her blog!
______________________________________________________ 
I don't know about you, but summer has definitely slipped by like the cool, delightful little breeze you take for granted on hot August days.  Nevertheless, we still have a few days left...just enough time to soak up as much beach time as possible. So grab your family or your closest girlfriends, some bejeweled sandals, a cute + colorful outfit and find some sand!

 

This outfit is so bright and cheery it's bound to lift any sort of mood!
(And I was clearly happy in it, as you can tell ;)

Top: OP
Skirt: thrift store
Camisole: Gap
Thin layering sweater: thrift store
Sandals: Payless
Scarf: gift (thrift stores + garage sales are fantastic places to find small, vivid scarves)


Can we stop and talk about this top for a minute, m'kay? It's just...lovely. It's bright iridescent blue, lightweight, has a fabulous pattern, and totally screams California and beachy-ness. And I scored it for about $2. Yup, I'm in love.



And it goes fabulously with yellow!

The buttercup hue of this skirt never fails to brighten my day, whether it's sunny or grey outside. Another thrift store find, it's too large for me now, but I can't bring myself to give it away because I love the color so much. I adore yellow, but it's so hard for me find a shade that doesn't look strange against my skin tone. So I rolled up the top of the skirt and pinned it. Solution? Check!

 Plus...

 It's simply too. much. fun. to twirl in it!



 Scarves are perrrrrrect for beaches! Larger ones make wonderful wraps or thin cover-ups; smaller ones double for headbands, turbans, or cute kerchiefs. One of my best friends (who wears turbans constantly) gave me this one. With so many bright colors, it goes with so many things.
 

And of course, you can't go to the beach without reading material. That's the highlight of the trip! Tell me I'm not the only one that loves to lounge on the sand with the breeze in my hair, the sun on my brightly-colored toes and be whisked off to solve murders with Hercule Poirot, giggle over Becky Bloomwood's shopaholic escapades, or peruse glossy fashion magazines. Can I get an amen?

(Side note: Um, the Hunger Games? Never read them on  a holiday or "fun" day. It makes Father's Day or the beach far more macabre when you're reading about teenagers dying. Fact.)


P.G. Wodehouse is always, always acceptable. Lovers gone awry? Multiple hijinks and family feuds? Butlers, valets, and "I say"s galore? Yes, please. Mireille's book about French women and their figures manages to both intrigue, delight, and not make one despair over the ice cream cone enjoyed....er, five days in a row. And, when in doubt, read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Just do it. It's inanely quirky, utterly adorable, and should be a must-read for everyone. Beach or no beach.


Journals are always good too. I love bringing mine for whatever bits of inspiration or random thoughts pop into mind...I tend to find lots of both at the beach!


I always bring a thin, light sweater/cardigan/cover-up to the beach, because a) modesty (I usually don't rock spaghetti strap shirts or tank tops unless I have my bathing suit underneath b)I hate sunburns and c) when the sun sets, it gets cooler and the breeze a bit stronger. I never regret bringing something to wrap up in. You can find so many different options in varying thickness and sleeve length. I love this black one because it's so thin it's nearly sheer, but you really can't tell.


 At the end of the day, it's all about comfort and kicking back. 

 And a modest, extremely cute outfit, of course.


Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday. Link up your outfit (it can be as casual or gussied up as you want).


Don't have a blog?
 Email (raewyn83@gmail.com)
 Instagram (raewyn83) 
or Tweet (@GracefulEats) 
me a pic of your outfit with hashtag #modestmoday if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!

{Catching up on Modest Monday? Check out all the previous weeks here.}

11 comments:

  1. I love it!! Hunger Games is the worst beach read ever! Totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, so glad to hear that! Thanks, Corrie Anne! Ah, a fellow "Hunger-Games-makes-me-want-to-frolic-in-meadows-and-sing-happy-songs-to-shake-the-gloom"er. They're so horribly depressing!

      Delete
  2. Super cute! And P.G. Wodehouse? I knew I had lots of reasons to love you. *smiles* God bless you, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, the list just gets longer and longer! ;) Love you too, Clare-girl. God bless you too (thinking of + praying for you & your man)!

      Delete
  3. I say, that's one jolly stack of literature for a long summer's day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree, old girl! ;)

      Delete
  4. Cecelia R. VandalAugust 07, 2012

    When you said your top was OP, what do you mean? The only thing I could think of was Dominicans (Order of Preachers)

    Unfortunately, I tried wearing something colorful like this but neither of my parents like it because they think it makes me look like a gypsy.

    I really enjoy looking at your blog and outfits! They make my week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cecelia! Haha, actually, the shirt brand is "OP Clothing" - Target/Wal-Mart carry it, I believe. Here's the official site link to give you an idea of the line: http://www.op.com/spring_2012/women.asp

      Aw, that's too bad! (Although I probably look a little gypsy also, thanks to the scarf.) Maybe try different elements of the outfit, like bright colors one day and then rock a head scarf the next. :) Thank you so much - that's so lovely to hear! That made my day!

      Delete
  5. I love your out fit. It is so summery bright!
    I awarded you on my blog. :)
    http://theendlessroad-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2012/08/an-award-from-cultured-enthusiast.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great beach outfit! Despite being Brazilian I don't go to the beach that much, partly because I can't put together an outfit that is both modest and beach appropriate. So, thanks for the inspiration! Hope you're having fun on your trip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colors,yes! Head scarf, I love them so much! Oh this outfit is my favorite!

    You have a beautiful smile! :)

    ReplyDelete