Of Tempests, Tea and Typing

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

'And the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down...'




As my favorite silly old bear says, "Is it raining out there? It's raining in (over) here too." It's pouring, actually - dripping, gushing, rushing, pattering, and drenching. In the most delightful manner.
I've written before about my love for rainy days, but it really is true. There's just something about rain that makes me wonderfully happy. It's such a cozy feeling to be curled up, safe and warm in the house.

It's fearfully early right now - all's hushed in the house, everyone else is sleeping. I'm typing away in yoga pants with a scarf 'round my neck and a hot cup of English Breakfast tea in my lap. And in the mood to write. My writer-creative-muse side is feeling quite alert and awake. (As it always does when it rains...I have a feeling my productivity would be staggering if I lived somewhere like Seattle.) 

This bit of rainy spell is somewhat out of sorts with our usual Louisiana weather, but I'm tickled every shade of rosy pink at the wet weather this week. (How's that for alliteration? ;) I think I shall use it to my advantage though and tackle the last chapter holes of zee rough draft of my book. 

Oh, yes. I'm writing a book. I've mentioned it once or twice on here, but not recently, I think. Anyhoo, it's the first book in a young adult fantasy series I've been working on for years. It came to fruition when I was a wee girl of 13 and has been slowly brewing into something more mature and readable over the past few years. This year, I'm determined to finish it. 2012 is the year - the year that I will push myself; write, write, write; edit out of the wazoo, and then send out query letters. 

What it's about? A very ordinary, small girl named Emma Nels who one days stumbles quite literally into another world called Renia. She discovers she has something known in that other world as a "Stone of Destiny." There are seven Stones that each represent an element of the land. Each Stone has a Guardian who carries the Stone...she is one of the Guardians and her Stone is the Stone of Water. As Emma discovers, the new world is very extra-ordinary. Along the way she encounters Elves, a King, several adventurous near-death experiences, a fast-talking British teenager, a disgruntled general, and a Spy. 

So there's a little bit about it. The title is The Stones of Destiny: Quest for Renia. I plan on sharing more about it in the future... introduce you to some of the characters and perhaps even post some excerpts. 


 I'm off to do some writing. All those storms raging on outside...bah, do what you may. I've got tea and my laptop. Ella and Louis are crooning in the background. I'm wearing mismatched neon leopard print socks. 

I win. :)

10 comments:

  1. You win forever because you have Winnie the Pooh in your blog. Also, should you end up in school somewhere nearish in Texas, we should have a rainy writing day next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I meet Maddee approval. ;) And methinks you have a point; or I should at least stop by UD next time I'm in Dallas and we can write like rainy day madwomen.

      Delete
  2. Wow that sounds like an awesome plot. I hope you can finish your book sometime this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Deanna - say a prayer for me! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an awesome story! I love me some good fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. I'm a huge fantasy buff also: Tolkien and Lewis are my favorites!

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to hear about the book! Good luck with it... rainy days are often the best for writing. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare! Hopefully I can motivate myself enough to finish it. It's my smaller version of a thesis, I suppose! God bless you too. <3

      Delete
  5. I loved learning more about book! I sounds so intriguing - like Lord of the Rings but more feminine. Do tell us more about it and good luck with your writing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula! I never thought of it that way, but I love your description: "A more feminine version of LotR." It sort of is, now that you mention it...and a much louder, energetic, youthful version. ;)

      Delete