Monday, July 2, 2012

Modest Monday: Three Cheers for Red, White, and Blue

Welcome to Modest Mondays! If you're just joining us (or are a new reader), here's the original post. I'll simply be posting a modest, stylish outfit each Monday along with some thoughts on modesty. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion for purity. 
 Modesty does not = frumpy. 
These are outfits I really, truly wear in my day-to-day life. I'm a girl determined to live a life of purity, modesty, and plenty of style.

All photography credit: Bernadette Marie Photography - check her out on FB and at her blog!
____________________________________________________________


Hi, friends! Hope everyone's excited for the upcoming holiday. Every 4th of July, I am always so thankful for the country we live in and the beyond brave men and women who have given their lives to defend our freedom. 

 Since 4th of July is literally days away - two days, count 'em, two to get your holiday outfits together - I wanted to wear something patriotic-inspired to kick off the week...and the beginning of July!

July...it's the month of watermelon, pool parties, backyard BBQs, summer camps, and celebrating our nation with one's family. 


And red, white, and blue! 

Y'all, I tore through my wardrobe and my sister's to find pieces in all three colors. I tried on half a dozen possible outfits with no success. At first I wasn't sure I'd have anything, but all I've found with a bit of imagination, a small wardrobe, and some really, really good heels...it all comes together.



The inspiration? 

(This beautiful skirt, blouse, and hat from Shabby Apple)
I adore stripes, and large floppy hats are always lovely. Sadly I had neither, but I loved the elements of the outfit and wanted to put my own spin on it, with a touch of blue.


Shirt: American Eagle (thrifted)
Skirt: (thrifted)
Belt: Forever 21 (gift from a friend) 
Shoes: Forever 21 (gift from a friend)
Snood: ICING (yet another gift from a friend)
Bag: (gift)

As you can see, my entire outfit was basically free...maybe $5 at the most? And I do mean at the most. LOVE thrift stores! (And my friends who have excellent taste as well.)


I loved how this outfit came together - even though it was last minute! This was actually very comfortable and easy to move around in. 

 

(Mad props to Bernadette for meeting with me for these pictures. It almost didn't work out this week due to both of our busy schedules, but she was all too willing to scramble when I contacted her!)



The blue snood/beanie made me feel a bit French - but they have the same flag colors as us, so it works. ;)


Shirt pulled out? Casual American t-shirt. Shirt tucked into a bubble skirt and belted? Chic, classy American style. 


 

I clearly have a thing for high heels. (What can I say? I'm under 5 feet and love every extra inch I can get.)


I felt like an all-American girl getting ready to board the train for vacation...

 
In style, of course!


Ginormous canvas bags are perfect for stuffing with beach gear, throwing in the car for a quick meet-up with friends, and they make a great weekend-getaway bag. Or the vehicle for 50 library books....not that I would personally know that's the check out limit. *cough*   (Shout out to the G girls - love the bag!)  


When it comes to putting together an outfit, if you can find one really good piece, the rest will fall into place. I knew I wanted to use this nautical-inspired belt to start with. 



(Whoops! My train just rushed by!)



This sweet little skirt came from a thrift store and was embroidered with delicate roses and vines.



 White is one of my favorite colors to wear during the summer, especially when it's hot. It's such a cooling shade and one that is flattering on everyone. It's the summer version of black! Throw on anything white and it instantly slims you + adds a glow to your skin. 


This skirt was so fun. It felt very Mexican or Spanish.

  

All together: pop of red, sailor belt, embroidered skirt, and killer heels.
 
  
I wanted to add a bit more of blue, because the belt by itself wasn't enough. This snood/beanie ft the bill perfectly and tied the whole outfit together.


  It added some casual fun to what would have otherwise been a more dressy, yacht-style outfit. But now I'm ready to serve my country in all my colors!


Anchors aweigh!


Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday (or Tuesday/Wednesday). I'm having some technical difficulty with the link ups, so send me your outfit/link, and I'll add it to the post.

Liz at Sunny Side Up: The Best Dress

Don't have a blog?
 Email (raewyn83@gmail.com)
 Instagram (raewyn83) 

or Tweet (GracefulEats) 
me a pic of your outfit if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!

{Catching up on Modest Monday? Here's Week 1, 23, and 4}

15 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 02, 2012

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute outfit! I think I'll do a red, white, and blue themed FF post. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna - and how fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  3. SUCH A CUTE OUTFIT!!! I love it all, the belt really pulls it together!! You've inspired me to make a 4th of July themed one possibly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Glad you liked it. :) Looking forward to seeing your outfit!

      Delete
  4. Once again, you're adorable Grace! And, I kind of have a "Modest Monday" themed post that I put up yesterday night on my blog. :) So you can link if you want!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you're too kind! Thank you for your sweet compliment. :) I will definitely add your post!

      Delete
  5. Grace, this is super darling! What a great way to dress for the 4th. Crazy travels saw me in a t-shirt and jeans, but seeing you all dressed up makes me feel like I want to be stylish again. *smiles* God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothin' wrong with jeans and a t-shirt! Thank you so much, love!

      Delete
  6. I love this outfit! Makes me want to get all dressed up, too. God bless you, oh stylish one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) <3 Inspired as always by you when it comes to dressing sweetly and femininely!

      Delete
  7. Lovely blog! I've been checking it out for the past two days and have been very inspired by your pursuit of dressing and living modestly. Thanks so much for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, Nicole! That means so much to me that you stopped by. So glad you've enjoyed the posts! :)

      Delete
  8. Here's my modesty Sunday post.
    http://modestadventures.blogspot.com/2014/01/fashionably-transformed.html

    ReplyDelete

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!