Modest Monday: KERFing It Up in the Sun

Monday, July 16, 2012




Just joining the Modest Monday party? Here's the original post. Each Monday, I post a modest, stylish outfit that I wear along with some thoughts on modesty. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion for purity. 
 Modesty does not = frumpy. 
These are outfits I really, truly wear in my day-to-day life. I'm a girl determined to live a life of purity, modesty, and plenty of style. :)

All photography credit: Bernadette Marie Photography - check her out on FB and at her blog!

{The winner of the giveaway is Carolyn! Congratulations, girl! Email me your address and what flavor cookies you'd like (chocolate chip, white chocolate cherry, s'mores, pb & raisin, or chocolate chip hazelnut banana) at raewn83@gmail.com. Thank you so much to everyone who entered - and for reading this little blog! I look forward to the next 150 posts. ;) }


Hey, hey! After a week of rain, the sun is finally out - and the rest of the population around here are probably rejoicing. You know I love my rainy days, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of sunshine and brightness. 

My favorite part of summer (besides ice cream + fro-yo, that is)? 

Dressing in vibrant colors!


Yes, I am a human watermelon - and I love it! Mint and coral have always, always been one of my favorite color combinations (God clearly shares my good taste, hence the watermelon shades...). They offset each other perfectly: cool and warm, soothing and pow!


It's all about balance, people. 

Shirt: Five Bamboo + KERF ala Kath and Open Sky
Skirt: thrifffffted
Shoes: vintage sparkle flats. Three guesses - yep, thrifted. You're good. 
Headband: orange scarf, previously a belt from a Wal-Mart skirt


  Swish! 

Girls, if you don't own a swishy, flowy skirt...well, get thee to a (thrift) store and make your life complete. Then come back and thank me. (You're welcome, dearies.) 


There are few things in the world as satisfying as swirling and twirling in a swishy skirt.


Going for comfort and cuteness today...this is a much more "practical", do-things-around-the-house or run-errands outfit. It's very casual, but the headband and shoes add a dash of pizzazz. And we can all use a bit of that, can't we?


Kath, one of my favorite bloggers, is a registered dietitian who blogs about her healthy living lifestyle over at KERF: Kath Eats Real Food. Her photography is always gorgeous + vibrant and her meals are both mouthwatering and healthy (with plenty of treats thrown in :). Her blog is a celebration of real food that doesn't have chemicals or additives...food that's man-made, not manufactured. My style of eating is quite similar, so when I saw this shirt for sale on Open Sky, I couldn't resist.

 I'm frequently asked if I'm a vegetarian and used to be asked if I was on a diet when people saw me eating a salad or fruit...nope, I just try my best to eat real food!

 The shirt is by Five Bamboo and 95% made from bamboo. It's high quality, extremely soft, but thick and durable. I love that the company has a passion for making clothes from the earth's natural resources, not something synthetic. The clothing version of eating real food. :)


Proud to sport the "KERF" logo! ;)


 This is another thrifting treasure find that my mother scored. It's one of my favorite skirts to wear because of the color and also because it's so soft. Extremely lightweight and breathable, it's absolutely perfect for hot days, to twirl in, or just to sit and look pretty in.



Oh.my.goodness.

 I love these shoes. They make my heart happy. And flip-flop. And skip a beat.

 I was innocently meandering down the isle of a thrift store that had a $1 shoe special that day when I found them. I'm positive I squealed. I mean, look at them...they're sparkly. Glittery. Sequinned. Vintage. And all the colors of the rainbow. If we had fairies in our world, these are the kind of shoes they would wear. I love these so much I wore them on my birthday.



Get some sparkle in your life asap, girls. It's good for the soul. Promise! 



Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday or Tuesday/Wednesday. Link up your outfit (it can be as casual or gussied up as you want).


Don't have a blog?
 Email (raewyn83@gmail.com)
 Instagram (raewyn83) 
or Tweet (@GracefulEats) 
me a pic of your outfit with hashtag #modestmoday if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!

{Catching up on Modest Monday? Here's Week 1, 234 5, and 6}

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Kath said...

So cute!! You did a great job capturing the colors in the photos too!

Clare Ryan said...

I hope you dance in those shoes, Grace! I'm pretty sure they were made for dancing, and it would be a shame to let that go to waste. *smiles*

You look beautiful, dear. God bless you and *hugs*!

Nicole said...

Lovely outfit, Grace! I especially like the skirt; makes me this "irish". :) And, yes, those are definitely fairy shoes.

Raewyn said...

Thanks, Kath! I did have a fabulous photographer to help me out, but that's high praise coming from you. I always love the colors on your blog. :)

Raewyn said...

They do seem to summon my inner impish "fairy-ness" that demands a twirl or two... :) They are indeed perfect dancing shoes. Thank you, dear sister. Love you - God bless! *hugs*

Raewyn said...

Hi, Nicole! Thank you so much for the comment + compliment. And yes, the skirt does have an Irish feel to it. Ah, to be in Ireland!