Monday, June 4, 2012

Modest Monday: Week 1


Hello, everyone! Welcome to the first official installment of Modest Monday. I'm very, very excited to start this series. If you're just joining us (or are a new reader), here's the original post. I'll simply be posting a modest, stylish outfit each Monday along with some thoughts on modesty. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion for purity. 
 Modesty does not = frumpy. 
These are outfits I really, truly wear in my day-to-day life. I'm a girl determined to live a life of purity, modesty, and plenty of style.

So many girls feel the need to wear tight, clinging clothes to make a statement. After all...they have to be bold.

 Be sexy. 

Be different. 

 That's what the world tells them.

But what is different? Is it looking like every other girl or woman out there who happens to have the same idea? Are skinny jeans or wearing only a tank top for a shirt actually original? 

Hardly.

 I said last week that modesty is liberating - and this is true! When you are properly covered, you don't have to worry about shirts riding up, jeans/skirts sliding down, or the neck of your top gaping. 

When modesty is your first priority, your outfit becomes something you can move with ease and comfort in. And when you're comfortable, your style shines through. You're not preoccupied with making sure your clothes don't start misbehaving. You can dress with as much chicness, cuteness...or attitude as you want.

Case in point? Today's outfit.

 
I wore this not too long after the Taming of the Shrew performance I directed for a college class this spring for Honors credit. I chose to place the play in a modern setting, so for Katherine (who I played), we went for a "street punk" look. The actual costume included fire engine-red jeans. I'm much more of a skirt girl, so this was my "real-life" take on Kate. :)

Plaid shirt (borrowed from my sister's closet), Gap black camisole, thrifted black skirt, a friend's studded belt, beanie, and peach Croc flats. 

Everything from the waist up was part of my costume; I decided to soften the look and add a further touch of femininity with one of my favorite black tea-length skirts. The fluffy tulle layer at the bottom sweetened the overall look and balanced out the studded belt (which I loved, loved!). 



 If you don't have a studded/spiky belt, I highly recommend investing in one. It does wonders for your confidence. ;)


 Stripes. They make me happy. 

  

The red-and-black beanie was a fun pop of color and added another pattern to the mix, picking up on the plaid shirt. I used to be afraid of mixing prints and patterns, but I'm enjoying mixing them and stepping out of my comfort "everything-has-to-coordinate-perfectly" zone. This actually belonged to my friend Ariel who ended up giving it to me during the play. I'm looking forward to being able to wear it more frequently in the fall/winter!


So there you have it. This outfit was so much fun to wear, yet utterly comfortable. I trekked across campus, sat at desks for hours, and went through my entire day is perfect ease. Not only that, it was just a sheer fun and attitude-filled outfit. I still felt very feminine - and completely modest. I usually tend toward the flowy, Bohemian look or classic but casual skirt and cardigan combo, so I enjoyed trying a different style.


 I'd be so delighted if you reposted about Modest Monday on your blog or Facebook! Please help spread the word and encourage girls/young woman you know to take part.

What's your usual style? What's the hardest part about being modest for you? (Definitely finding things that aren't too tight, for me. Companies seem to make clothes that run snug on purpose!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!