Modest Monday: It's Raining Sunshine and Roses!


Welcome to Modest Mondays! If you're just joining us (or are a new reader), here's the original post. I'll simply be posting a modest, stylish outfit each Monday along with some thoughts on modesty. 

Why? Because I believe you don't have to sacrifice fashion for purity. 
 Modesty does not = frumpy. 
These are outfits I really, truly wear in my day-to-day life. I'm a girl determined to live a life of purity, modesty, and plenty of style.
 __________________________________________________________



Happy Modest Monday, girlies! It's quite rainy over here...so I wanted to wear something bright and colorful.

Think pink, think bright, think fun, think girly!

 I'm all for adding a pop of color to grey, dreary days.

Today's outfit inspiration came from this picture on Pinterest.

  


  I loved all the different colors going on, and decided to put my own spin on it. After digging around in my closet (and my little sister's), this is what I came up with.


Fuchsia shirt: Gap
Floral print skirt: thrifted
Gold scarf: Wal-Mart
Black leggings: thrifted
Leather boots: gift from a relative
Marian beaded bracelet: gift from a friend


 I built my outfit around this adorable rose-and-flowers skirt from my youngest sister's closet.


 My mom found it at a thrift store (we are HUGE thrift store shoppers in our family; probably 85-90% of my wardrobe comes from thrift stores!). I've seen short skirts and dresses like this over the last year or two: a cute, light floral print with a dark elastic waist. It seemed a little trendy, so I was never a huge fan of them, but I really love this one.
Most girls wear them as is - which is very short. I'm never a fan of short skirts...they usually end up looking immodest no matter how conservative you dress, tend to invite the eye to keep going up, and are just terribly impractical. Not only do you constantly have to worry about it inching too high or tugging it down when you're seated, it's just an accident waiting to happen if there's a breeze!

  My favorite way to wear them? Paired with leggings. You have more freedom to move without the restrictions of longer, full skirts, but it's a cute, fun way to wear a skirt. I paired mine with simple black leggings that were perfect for this rainy day. I stayed warm, dry, but still got to wear a very thin summery skirt.

 And of course, if you wear leggings, the best shoes are.....

 
Boots! Another rainy day love of mine. Fall and winter tend to be more boot-weather, but I'm always delighted when we get an occasional cool, wet spell down here in the humid South.  I absolutely love these boots, which were a graduation gift from my aunt in Texas (bueno, Aunt Judi!). These were hers and have a great classic cut, gorgeous color, and perfect fit. Love my little bit of cowboy-ness from home!


I decided to tie in the yellow from the roses in the skirt with one of my many scarves. I have a little collection that's amassed over the years from Christmases and birthdays...most are inexpensive scarves from Wal-Mart or chain clothing stores - nothing cashmere here! ;) Scarves are one of my favorite accessories because you can do so much with them, they don't break the bank, and they can suit any season or look.  
  
 I had a scarf the same color as my shirt, but I really wanted a pop of different colors, so I went with the gold.

 And because it was a rainy day, because I wanted to add even MORE color, and because red is always the answer, I brought out the red lipstick. 

 

Whyyyyyyy do I not wear red lipstick (or lipstick in general, for that matter) more often?? It was so, so fun. I instantly felt like I could take on the world, fabulous from head to toe, and irrevocably tre chic.  




On my wrist is another graduation gift from a family friend: a beaded bracelet with images of Mary, the Saints, and Jesus on it. It's very lightweight and durable, so it doesn't clatter annoyingly or weigh my arm down. I love that I can just look down at the little reminder of Our Lady. It's a nice way to constantly think of her.


Left to right: St. Jude, Our Lady of Guadalupe. The third one, I'm not familiar with...anyone else know who it is??

Since it was raining when we were taking pictures....what do you do when it rains?


Break out your pink umbrella, of course!

 
(My Mary Poppins-slash-Singing in the Rain pose)


All in all, this was such a fun outfit. Definitely one of my favorites! It also felt more "put-together" and styled than most of my usual outfits, but I'm glad I went for it. I feel more confident about my sense of style and taking risks with it. Most importantly, the outfit was modest + comfortable.

  

And oh so fun. ;)


Your turn! Show me your Modest Monday (or Tuesday/Wednesday). Since this post went up so late, I'll be leaving the link ins open until then. 



Don't have a blog? Email (raewyn83@gmail.com), Instagram (raewyn83), or Tweet (GracefulEats) me a pic of your outfit if you'd like to see it featured on the blog!


What did you wear today? What do you usually wear when it rains? Are you a jeans girl? Love curling up in a sweater or cozy cardigan?

Comments

  1. AnonymousJune 18, 2012

    I believe the third image is that of The Infant of Prague.
    Cute outfit, btw! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Diviño Niño, actually. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Dylana! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I suspected it was the Infant Jesus, but I wasn't sure which Infant.

    And thanks for the compliment on my outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute outfit! and i love the 'modest monday' idea, i do something similar called feminine friday where i wear only skirts or dresses on fridays. (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank ya kindly, Deanna! I had SO much fun wearing it...dressing up is always worth it. :) Your Feminine Fridays sound lovely; I'll definitely have to check it out! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors! Pink and yellow is a very beautiful combination. Also, I'd like you to know that I'm nominating you for the Versatile Blogger Award. I'll do a post about it tomorrow. Paula xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh-so charming, Grace girl! All the color along with your smile certainly do brighten up a gloomy day. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Paula - I love that combo too. It made me thank of tulips! Aw, thank you, I'll be sure to check out the deets on your blog. :)

    Clare, thank you, dearie! I need to sit down and write you. I miss our letters! Hope you had a wonderful time in VA. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

'lo!

Please keep in mind words can make one's day, or ruin it...so be kind..thank you!