Following Your Heart (Or Dealing With College Decisions)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What is it about growing up - about the plethora of options and impending, grown-up decisions - that is so daunting and overwhelming?

 Is it the realization that certain decisions like deciding what to study or where to attend college - or whether to attend at all - have such an impact on your future? Change is always frightening, but the past few months have been almost paralyzing...I've always know what I've wanted to do in  life:

 Write.


 But I've found during the past year that sometimes just knowing what your purpose and dream is doesn't mean you have everything figured out. There's so many variables! And oh, how they've been popping up and throwing my neatly-calculated decisions into chaos....grrr.

 I have a feeling God's enjoying this and doing for my benefit: after all, if I can figure out this college/stepping-beyond-high-school business, I'll be able to handle the future twists Life will throw at me.

 At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

 And just when I'm utterly sick of everything and thisclose to packing my bags and running away to live in England to drink tea and eat scones, God reminds me....


“Your time is limited so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” ~Steve Jobs

                                                                        and


God gave us passions for a reason - don't you think He wants us to pursue them? :)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

ElsieZyel said...

I so sympathize. Keep praying, (watch a few music videos to de-stress), and as Padre Pio says, worry never helped anyone. God bless!

Liz B said...

Super advice -- and exactly what my parents told me, and what I'm going on. :)
The whole college decision is definitely the hardest in our lives so far, and things probably will get harder.

I'm currently reading St. Therese's Story of a Soul, and am in the part where she is struggling to enter Carmel. She states that God intended her to go through many trials and sufferings before being forever joined to Him. So, God does allow suffering to happen, and allows us to undergo trials, but only because it purifies us, and He uses those to draw us closer to Him.

God bless,
Liz B

Nicole said...

Hi! I found your lovely blog through The Catholic Young Women.

I can totally relate to your post here! I feel the EXACT same way: about college, feeling petrified by all the choices, and just wanting to write novels but doubting how realistic that might be. I've ever had a desperate little wish to skip off to Europe (except for me it's Ireland ;-) ). I definitely think God is just using all this uncertainty in our lives to reel us in closer to Him!

Thank you for the awesome quotes--hadn't heard either before. Here's another which I've found comforting lately: "The only way of catching a train I ever discovered is to miss the train before."-G.K. Chesterton

Take care and God bless! Hope everything works out splendidly for you!

Raewyn said...

Thanks for the sweet encouragement, Elsie! I've certainly been listening to tons of calming music to de-stress and spending time in Adoration. I know God wil give me peace!

Liz, glad to know I'm not alone! I honestly didn't see any of this coming becasue I'd figured out which school I wanted to start at and then transfer. But then we went to look at some other ones and my mother started wondering whether I should go to a top school for writing. There's so many possible factors and schools that all have one thing or another that would be a good fit. So very confusing and extremely stressful, but your remark about St. Therese puts it in perspective. I trust God and know He's in control - there's a reason for all this! :)
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, Liz. God bless!

Raewyn said...

Hi, Nicole! So nice of you to stop by and say hello! I'm very glad to hear I'm not alone in all this...one of my favorite things about the blog community is that people - especially girls and women - can connect across states and even countries. So it's lovely to meet another kindred spirit.
Definitely pray about your decision - I've been taking advantage of Adoration and daily Mass, because I can't make this decision on my own!
I love that quote (and the man who said it). So true. If you want to write, then I'd encourage you to start writing now. I'm finishing up my first young adult novel and plan to self-publish. Chase that dream of yours!!

Cheers,
Grace

P.S. I love Ireland too - it's a verrrrry close second to England for me. Sounds like a great senior trip to me! ;) God bless, girlie. I'll keep you in my prayers!

Nicole said...

Hi Raewyn! Apologizes for the incredibly delayed replay! Thanks for your encouragement and kind words! Good luck with your novel! I currently writing a young adult novel as well. Thank you for your prays; I'm praying for you too.

God bless,
Nicole