In the Midst of a Tempest

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Greetings, friends! I'm writing this, sitting in a car safe and dry, while the heavens pour down and lighting flashes silver against the violet-hued night sky. It's a lovely storm pattering down around us and invoking delightful and refreshing sensations of calmness - despite the intense lightning - almost like orchestrated chaos, if there is such a thing. We're headed home from the rushing, metropolitan city of Houston where we enjoyed lunch at our favorite French cafe, La Madeleine, some book love at Barnes and Noble, and a scrumptious repast of salads, hard boiled eggs, and our respective sandwiches (portabello wrap for me and muffalatta for my mother) for dinner.

And now the rain, rain, rain is coming down, down, down, like a pail of water, as Winnie the Pooh would say. Thankfully, our house is a bit more higher up than Piglet's so we shan't (hopefully!) be flooded in. :)

I've oft remarked this (perhaps not on here before), but I find whenever I am feeling particularly cross, miserable, worn out, and discouraged with how my day went...it never fails to begin to rain. It's the loveliest feeling to suddenly hear the cheerful gurgle of raindrops when everything else seems out of sorts. Rain, and storms, seem to wash the unpleasantness away. Perhaps it's because that's what rain does: it washes things away, cleanses and makes a new slate. No matter what I am upset about, it always seems to disappear with the storm. Rather like God spring-cleaning me. I always love a good rainy day, especially rainy nights, but they're even nicer when they send my weariness and scowls floating away like a bottle bobbing in an impromptu stream.



“The best thing one can do when it’s raining is to let it rain.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

2 comments:

  1. Rain, its veiwed sometimes as a blessing and other times as a pain. Yet, the fact remains . It isveiwed as one of the most beautiful things in the world. And I love it.
    ~
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Autumn. One of my favorite things in the wide, sprawling world. I want to die on a rainy day... :)

    ReplyDelete