Weddings and the Stuff of Life

Saturday, August 1, 2009

We just got back from one of our former employee's wedding...she's a sweet, small dark-haired, dark eyed girl with a grin like nothing else. Plus, her new husband is the exact same (ok, about) height as her! So cute... ;)


It was a very nice wedding - the cakes were amazing! There was no dancing *sad* because of personal family reasons, but I didn't find myself missing it too much or even remembering about it until it was over. All in all, we had a great time; this was actually the second wedding of a former employee...they are all so sweet. I truly work/have worked with some great people. :)

It got me thinking about my wedding, which I hopefully will be at one day! Heehee. I'm listening to the pure strains of joy and laughter: the Lord of the Rings soundtrack (mainly Fellowship of the Ring) and so I'm imaging my wedding:

Crazy and spontaneous...I've never been a rigid,"Everything must be perfect" person; I'm Mexican, if you please. We know how to party. ;) I'm sure it will be sheer craziness right before the walk down the isle, with family and friends running everywhere, the bouquet going missing, a dress getting ripped, and the Good Lord only knows what else. Hopefully though, I'll be able to remind myself not to get stressed, that everything will work out, and say a prayer.


I want to have a Orthodox Catholic wedding, and after much (fine - maybe a minute) of thought - I want to get married on Sunday. I was thinking about it because I want all of our employees at Chick-fil-A to come...well, the only way that would happen is if I got married on a Sunday, because CFA is closed on Sundays. For a minute I was squeamish and wrestled/argued with God. "But then we'd have to celebrate our anniversary on Sundays and restaurants are always crowded on Sundays."



Was I thinking about what God had planned? Was I thinking of the fact that I had the opportunity to get married on the Lord's Day, the day of rest and celebration - the weekly Easter? No. I was thinking about restaurants! I put my foot down (politely of course) to the Almighty, and steered away from the thought in my head. Maybe if I ignored it God wouldn't realize I'd thought of it....how I didn't remember that He can hear EVERY thought in my mind and that maybe He put it in my head in the first place I don't know!!


So then I thought, "Well, this is a good time to practice Marian obedience...do what Mary would do. Just say yes." Our Lady must have been watching over me especially at that moment, for that one little thought garnered a gift of grace and I suddenly wondered why I had not wanted to get married on Sunday. My husband and I would forever be uniting our marriage and our love in union with Jesus' sacrifice and offering; not only that, but we would be married on the holiest day of the week, especially dedicated to God! If we got married on Sunday, my dad would definitely be able to come, as would all our employees...we could all relax and celebrate all day...and most importantly, Sunday, already holding a special place in my heart, would be all the more special.


What could be a sweeter gift of thanks to God for allowing me to be married, for giving me my bridegroom, then to choose His day as my wedding day? :) In a way, humility enters into it as well, for making "my" day on His, it takes some of the attention and specialness off of me. After all, after so many people telling me to remember "my" day, I can only give thanks to God a hundred times more for being so good to me, who does not deserve it. :)


My wedding... *sighs happily* Pews filled to the brim with my family and friends - all my loved ones. I want everyone I know to come to my wedding; I want everyone to share in my happiness. After the Nuptial Mass, I'll give hugs to everyone, and we'll proceed to the reception, which will be Cajun and Mexican style: in a backyard, with lights strung on trees (think Bilbo's Party!!), simple tents erected, with plastic/wooden tables and benches. Hearty, delicious food, and tons of great music....


I also love the idea of having a pot-luck wedding. Everyone brings a dish, large or small! It's an old Southern hospitality thing to me, and one that speaks volumes. To me, baking/cooking something for someone and giving it to them is a sign of love. :) Wedding presents - not needed. I'd be so happy and delighted with a dish of food, or even a treasured recipe. Even a kiss from a little one... :)

Earwen, bless her, graciously and sweetly tagged with this perfect tag after I asked her to!

Hopeless Romantic Tag

What two qualities do you want most in your future husband? There's more than two! I have to list all the important/essential ones: I want him to be truly and deeply Catholic, so much so that I will be in awe of this amazing man that will help lead me to Heaven, holding my hand and showing me the way; that he be tender and loving with a gentle heart - I myself am so loving and compassionate in nature I need a ton of love and affection or I will wilt! (Borrowed that from Mamma Rose ;)) It is my dream to have a huge sprawling family with 8-12 children, so he has to loves kids, which is where loving and tender comes in. Thirdly he must be strong, a leader and my knight. :) Lastly, but not at all least, he'll have to have a sense of humor, (being married to me!) and he'll want to homeschool our kids. :)


Is there a fictional character you see as a model for your husband? Mr. Darcy and Captain Wentworth from Jane Austen, because both are strong, honorable men who just also happen to be gorgeous! ;) In all sincerity...Cor, my main character/creation. He's sweet, kind, loyal, warm and deeply devoted to God and Mary, plus he's an ELF! ;)


Where do you want your wedding? In Renia (the world in my books), preferably, but I'll settle very happily for in my church, a cathedral, which is so beautiful and souring...with all the Saints, Angels and my loved ones looking on!


What are your views on courtship? That it is true and beautiful. I've never thought of or wanted to do anything but courtship. I firmly believe that it truly does work, and if young men/boys think I'm silly or old fashioned, then they are not the one God has chosen for me. :)


What are your views on your first kiss? It's locked deep withing me, carefully saved and hidden, to be given to my husband on our wedding day; our first kiss will be before the alter when the priest says, "You may now kiss the bride"! And I know my future husband is saving his for me!


Do you have a purity ring/locket? No, not yet but I want one so! It's going on my Christmas wish list...I'm so eager to get my "engagement" ring and start wearing so I can tell people, "Yes, I'm engaged - I just haven't met him yet!" ;)


Do you have or want a hope chest? *wistfully* Och, no, but I would love one. Hopefully I'll find one somewhere and begin filling it up. :)


Will you wear a veil at your wedding? Is the sky blue? Of course I will! I can't imagine not wearing one; it's as important as my dress.


What kind of wedding dress do you want? Something Renian... *smiles* Oh, I honestly have no idea. I think I'll just know when I see it. Or maybe I'll have to make it. All I know is that it will be sweet, simple and most importantly, modest.


What flowers do you want in your bouquet? Again, I'm not sure...but if it were possible, star-flowers/Elven blossoms from Middle Earth. :D Probably something white and delicate with blue for Our Lady.


What do you want to name one of your daughters? This is actually a very funny story because, as I hope you all know, I'm a girl who loves feminine things and little girl-sweetness, and I can't wait to have daughters. Well, like any respectable young lady wanting to be a mother, I *cough* own a baby name book and read it frequently. I also am going to give all my children saint names; imagine my horror then, when I couldn't find many girl names that I loved - but I had a list as long as my arm for boy names! So right now, here are three that I've written down: Kateri, Lucy or Lydia. *sigh* I know there are some very pretty names out there - I just need to find them!


What do you want to name one of your sons? OH, now this is easy. ;) Cameron, Adrian, Dominic, Benedict (Fish!!), Gabriel, and maybe Peter.


Do you believe in the 'knight-in-shining-armour' view of courtship? Oh yes...I recently realized the wonderful fact that I shouldn't be worrying whether there is someone out there for me who will be everything he should be; I realized if God's will for me is to marry, then somewhere out there is a knight waiting for his fair lady. He's studying hard, praying earnestly and waiting until we meet. :)


What music do you want to play at your wedding? Ha - there's so much! It'll have to last all day! :D Josh Groban's So She Dances, Sweet Home Alabama, Dean Martin's songs, Frank Sinatra, Celtic music, Riverdance, and so much more! For soundtracks: Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Peter Pan (2003) and all the old Disney classics.


Are you a hopeless romantic? Why yes, yes I am. :)

*sigh* Why am I falling behind so in updating?

- Please pray for young Ryan Barrett, who was called home to God, and his family who miss him very much.

"Eternal rest grant unto to him, O Lord. And may perpetual light shine upon him. May the soul of Ryan Barrett and all the souls of the faithfully departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen."

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Rose said...

*laughs* Darling, so are so much like me it's bizarre! Although i must say that as far as names go i'm the opposite - a list as long as my arm of girl's names that i love but not many boys names! Hmmm, maybe we'll have to compare lists and get ideas from each other!

[...]"Yes, I'm engaged - I just haven't met him yet!"[...]

Ha ha! I say that ALL the time!!!! Great minds think alike. ;)

Rose said...

Ps. And i MUST come to your wedding, so be sure to let me know as soon as your future husband proposes so that i can start saving for a plane ticket! ;)

Pps. Tag me for this one!

~Jane Austen Wannabe~ said...

Wow, you weren't kidding about the paragraphs of answers! :-D

*sigh* You are going to have such a beautiful wedding, I am sure, Raewyn!

Okay, so you wait for Cor, I'll wait for Damian. *grin* Can I have my wedding in Renia too? *giggle*

And I know what you mean about the music question...*chuckle* On the Josh Groban note, When You Say You Love Me. *sigh*

Now you've gotten me into a romantic mood, Raewyn. *groan* *Grin* Whatever shall I do? *mutters under breath: must find time to look at Celtic gowns and write a romantic scene today!*

Love ya, and so glad that you finally got this tag up!

Oh, and can I steal that line about "Yes, I'm engaged, I just haven't met him yet!"? I love it!!!!

Raewyn said...

Mamma ~ Great minds think alike! I simply can't wait to meet you - if you are ever in Louisiana or nearbye, please tell me so we can see each other!

*laughs* Really? You must show me your list; maybe I'll find some lovely girl names. :) After I posted this morning, during the afternoon I was doing copywork (Little Woman) and then read a bit of Raising Maidens of Virtue...and the image of sweet cheery ladilike girls inspired the beginnings of what I think will be a story: sisters who are old-fashioned andyoung ladies..Margret, Elizabeth, Helena, Lucy, and their brothers who are like Laurie, merry and laughing.

I want to see your list!

P.S. I'm about to ask my mom about exchanging letters!

Raewyn said...

Keaghan Precious, do I look like I'm a kidding person? *raises eyebrows, trying to keep a straight face and failing miserably, bursts into laughter*

I know!! I want to marry Cor and I can't wait for my wedding...you definitely have perm. to steal that line!!! :D Oh, Josh G. is a must... :)

Audrey said...

Yikes!!!!!! You sound JUST LIKE ME!!!! There are a few exceptions though. My Daughters name will be Rose or Cecilia (or maybe both!). For a boy, Laurence (Laurie? :D) or Sebastian (I LOVE St. Sebastian!). Fictional character? I just have one to add, namely, Mr. Knightley!

Other than these, your answers are pretty much identical to what mine would be! Too funny!!!