Tonight...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tonight... there is quiet. The Our Father seems all the more beautiful, as it is said softly, fingers moving over luminous pale pink pearl beads of the Rosary clasped in my hand.

Dinner simmers softly on the stove, chicken and vermicelli, a old Mexican dish from my mother's childhood. Baby Christopher is nestled in my arms, and Dario Marianelli's music in Pride and Prejudice plays from Jo's nook.

Deep within a beloved dark wooden chair, I write this, and contemplate on how much I feel at this moment, caught between Heaven and Earth. This is when one looks around at the children clustered together quietly, the husband is writing; and the wife smiles while her heart sings a song of joy and peace. This is why it's all worth it. These are the moments when we stop long enough to see God.

Tonight, I am thankful for... My mother, because it is in these moments that I realize how difficult and heartbreaking her role is, as a mother. To watch her children balk, and yearn to stretch their wings without help; to look in to the future and treasure the moments she know will pass all too swiftly.

For being my best friend on earth, and knowing me as well as she does. For installing in me a deep love for Jesus and spending time in His Presence. For saying the Rosary every night while I do the same in my room.

For reading to me while she was pregnant with me, before I was even born, and thus raising a biblophile as a daughter. For her unending love, which like God's, never runs dry. There is always more in her heart with each year.

te quiero mamá. I love you, Mom.

For my father... who is the only man in life, and will remain, unless God wills it otherwise. For always holding my little hand in his, and allowing me to cling to his ear with one hand and suck my thumb with the other, whenever he held me as a little girl. :)

For taking me to Mass on the days we make it. For God's grace in bringing my daddy to Him, and giving me the sweet gift of receiving my First Holy Communion on the same day he did, together receiving Our Lord for the first time. For being a role model for my future husband ( if he lives!), in everything.

Thank you Daddy for being my hero, and letting me be your little girl.

For my Guardian Angel, whispering these words in my ear, and granting me sweet peace. For always staying, watching and guarding. For fighting for my soul. For being my dearest, best heavenly friend.

For all the crazy and comforting conversations I've had with Paul. They are filled with laughter, silliness and moments of seriousness: about our Faith, our beliefs and our burdens we carry each day. He's like the older brother I never had (nor met). ;)

For all my friends here in the blogsphere....I love you guys so much. Thanks for making my day when you post, and being the lovelys you are.

Goodnight.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

... and we are quite fond of you, too. :)

Your post reminds me of a Christmas card my family sent out a few years ago. I found a picture of it online and I'll use it later today in a post. :)

Edge said...

I feel very calm now, which is good, because I've been stressing out about getting things done. Maybe you weren't trying to be profound, but you were (and if you were, congratulations, because when I try to write my feelings like this, it sounds stilted)

Edge said...

Oh yes, and I did finally watch Romeo and Juliet, the 1968 version. I...well, I didn't find myself liking the play any better. Don't get me wrong, I certainly liked parts of the movie, and it helped me understand the play (on paper) sooo much better. I thought some of the cinematography was magnificient, and that Juliet was beautiful, and that Romeo bore a frightening resemblance to Zac Efron. :-)

Victoria said...

That is a very sweet post!

-Vicki

Lady Rose said...

So beautiful my dear! I envy you for being able to be so profound, I never can. My friend Fishy can, you can and you both do it so beautifully!

Sookie said...

A very profound post indeed :-)

About your comment on my blog:
It's so nice to meet another Texan!!!
The Breaking Dawn release was pretty awesome. But all of that standing in line was something I could certianly have gone without!

Master Paul Xavier said...

Ha! I should be saying thank you for being glued to a computer like me!!! :) I'm glad to have you as a friend! You're always there in those down-moments of the present.

Elizabeth said...

Did you say you wanted a rosary? Really sorry if you didn't. One of my friends called Grace wanted one. sorry,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth said...

Just read your other comment. When may i book your flight???
Yes you may call me Liz, everyone does. It is winter so bring plenty of socks. lol
God bless,
Elizabeth

P.S. Did i tell you about the story i just started?

Judi said...

Hi Grace,
First off, I love this post. It's very beautiful and heartfelt.

Second of all, thank you for the comment on my blog. It really encourages me to know that someone out there likes my story...or maybe it'll be turned into a novel..I'm still thinking. :)
-Judi
PS: You're a fan of Simple Plan? I don't think I know anyone else on blogger who does like Simple Plan.
PSS: 'Perfect' is my favorite song of theirs.

Mamselle Duroc said...

Dearest Grace, your post was so beautiful and touching.

I'd love to republish it on A Maiden's Wreath with your permission.

If it's all right, drop me an email (my address is in my profile) so we can work out the details.

---Clare

Jennifer said...

Postage to america is $8.80. So it will be approximately $30 depending on what you want. I just got pearls in the mail today. Run out of blue beads at the moment but have orange and black and green... we've got a lot of colours. lol
The american dollar just went up, so it will definitely be under $30.
God bless,
Elizabeth

Jo said...

I loved how you expressed it: "deep within a beloved dark wooden chair..." Dear Grace, you are such a beautiful soul and it shows in your writings. This post was such an honest reflection of your heart... I loved it.
Yours,
Jo

Judi said...

Okay....ummm....update.
Please?
-Judi

Judi said...

Hey,
I hope it's okay if I answer your questions through your blog...sometimes my blog gives me grief when I try commenting..

First of all...I might have lied a couple of times on that test. *grins sheepishly* I got a higher score than I probably should have.

Simple Plan has some really great songs on their cds..warning..some not so great. The first album is probably their best. I own the first two..and I've heard most of the third and don't like it as much.

You like the All-American Rejects too??? That is so awesome..I don't know a lot of people who like the same music I like...including the bands I love from the 80's. Yes, I am an oldies fan. :)
I like the All-American Rejects' song that played at the end of Meet the Robinsons...I don't know if you saw that movie.

I like all of Avril Lavigne's songs except for like three...I own all of her cd's..but, I'd never heard a song of hers before I heard "Girlfriend".

I'm glad you liked the story. I am a HUGE fan of music, in case you didn't notice...the girl in that story is kind of me...except, I don't have an ipod.. :( I want to get one, though. The one that holds like 20,000 songs...mom's like, NO WAY.

"He had it coming" is one of my favorite songs!!! It came from the movie Chicago, btw, I don't know if you saw that one or not. It's a hysterical song. :D....and very true. >:)

Okay, so this comment got a little long...sorry about that. I talk a lot better on computer than in person. I'm real shy..I know you can't tell that..:D

-Judi

TrinaBina said...

That was beautiful! I wish I could be that profound!