Where I belong

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh, it feels so good to be home.

I've missed everyone so much! *hugs all her blog pals, old and new*

Well, nearly two weeks after I wrote my last post, I return. Relived, reassured, and many other things starting with 'R's'.

I wrote down as much as I could. Here is the first part of my travel journal:

Eeep! We were late this morning. I jolted awake as my dad rushed, saying, "Wake up! They're here!" (my grandparents) I did, gasping the first word to come to mind and stumbled out of my room. To my horror, it was 7:23. We were supposed to leave at seven sharp.

"Dad, it's 7:23, " I groaned, burying my face in my hands in despair and sleepiness.

I turned on my heel, and yawning my way into the bathroom. When I came out, my dad was coming down the hallway gesturing wildly. Nonplussed and too tired to try and think, I tried to walk past him. He spun me around and steered me into the bedroom. "Sure thing, Mom. It's the first door on the right," he called over his shoulder.

Realizing my grandmother was coming down the hall and I was still in my pj's, I ran into my room.

Dressed and somewhat ready, I decided to dump the bag of shoes. I was embarrassed by the fact that I had a big, heavy suitcase, a huge backpack of books (New Moon included), a medium sized bag and my purse. My purse is generous sized too.

later

We're on the road now, just having left town. All around are alternating fields of fields, tall trees and scrub. V. clear day; the grass is wet. It rained late at night or early in the morning.

I slept from five o'clock in the morn, to seven twenty-three. So that's nearly two and a half hours of sleep. Gah...

later

As we drive down the road, modern enough, I feel like a cross between the second Mrs. De Winter coming down the drive for the first time, the huge hedge peering down at her, nodding it's many leafed head. And Alice in Wonderland going through the maze of hedges in the strange world where nothing is the proper size and everything is so much bigger or smaller...

It's a strange feeling, one of a sense of isolation, wonder and of course, curiosity... :)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Elenatintil said...

Lol! I love the referance to "Rebecca"!!!

Glad to have you back!

Raewyn said...

Hey! Thanks! It good to be back!

I love Rebecca, so I was reminded of it at once and it fit perfectly!

Jo said...

Hello Grace!
I found you through Sarah's blog and am quite intrigued. You've lovely thoughts to share and a way with words which is so endearing.
Cheers, dear writer!
- Jo